Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst.
What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Published: March 31

My granddaughter, age 17, is going through her first -- and hopefully last -- experience with a pilonidal cyst. She was taken to an orthopedic surgeon thinking she had hit her tailbone. He ordered X-rays, which were negative. He told her to go home and take Tylenol. He never did look at her buttocks area, only felt through her clothes. Two days later, she was in excruciating pain. We took her to a walk-in pediatrics’ office, and we were asked why we waited so long. At that point it was a large, elongated mass starting at the top of her butt and oozing. He did numb the area and excised it. She cried in pain as he was doing this. She had to come back the next three days for him to pack and check it. For the next several days we had to change the packing. She is still in a lot of pain. She was also put on Bactrim. I certainly hope this clears up with no complications. .

When I was 22 years old I had a terrible pain, it felt like I had a hard fall on my tail bone and bruised it, but I knew I hadn't. It continued to get worse within 36 hours, and at 48-72 hours, I could hardly sit down due to the pain. I went to my primary doctor and they diagnosed it as a pilonidal cyst. Within 24hrs of the onset of pain, onto the right side of my tail bone, I could see in the mirror a slightly raised oval shaped, dark red area in between my butt cheeks that was warm to the touch. The doctor advised it was a cyst I was probably born with, or it may have been caused by a hard fall on my tailbone earlier in life. He advised it would be something I would have the rest of my life, unless I had surgery, and even with surgery the cyst could still return. He prescribed me Augmentin and within days I felt better and the cyst "disappeared". A couple years later it returned and then left with the same treatment. Luckily, I am 36 years old now and have not had a reoccurrence..