Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst.
What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

I have always had some sort of pain at the end of my tailbone for the last 2 years. And I could never do a sit up properly whenever I worked out because my tailbone would kill me. I never really did anything about it. Last month, I woke up one morning in pain in the same area. I kind of figured it was the same problem as before. Next day the pain got worse. And throughout the day it got worse. And it got to the point where I couldn't even walk. The only way I could move was hunched over limping. Got to a doctor in a box, diagnosed as a pilonidal cyst. He gave me some pain medicine, made a small slit, and it took him about 15 minutes to drain and he drained about 75 percent of it. He referred me to a surgeon and he had me on antibiotics for 3 weeks as the small slit healed. Now I am scheduled for surgery a week from today and hoping this can go away forever! It still is bothersome..

One day I was getting ready for work. I sat down to put socks on and felt that my buttock cheeks were sore. Not something you go around talking about. Next morning I couldn't stand up all the way. The pain I felt was ridiculous. My mom told me to soak for a while in a hot bath. After soaking a few times the pilonidal cyst came to a head and was ready to be popped. I just couldn't see it to get it. Last thing I wanted to ask my girlfriend to do was pop it. The pain was too much and I had to do something. I lay on the bed face down. I gave her a razor and told her to pop it and squeeze it till nothing but blood came out. After it was drained I was able to stand up straight and walk normal and the pain was gone pretty much. Popping and the cyst returning happened back and forth for years. I had surgery, about a 6 inch incision down the cleft. Surgery was awful. I ended up ripping stitches and bleeding for about 4 months straight. Finally after going to the doctor every day and getting my bike painted with silver nitrate, the incision finally healed..