Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst.
What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

One day I was getting ready for work. I sat down to put socks on and felt that my buttock cheeks were sore. Not something you go around talking about. Next morning I couldn't stand up all the way. The pain I felt was ridiculous. My mom told me to soak for a while in a hot bath. After soaking a few times the pilonidal cyst came to a head and was ready to be popped. I just couldn't see it to get it. Last thing I wanted to ask my girlfriend to do was pop it. The pain was too much and I had to do something. I lay on the bed face down. I gave her a razor and told her to pop it and squeeze it till nothing but blood came out. After it was drained I was able to stand up straight and walk normal and the pain was gone pretty much. Popping and the cyst returning happened back and forth for years. I had surgery, about a 6 inch incision down the cleft. Surgery was awful. I ended up ripping stitches and bleeding for about 4 months straight. Finally after going to the doctor every day and getting my bike painted with silver nitrate, the incision finally healed..

At 24 I was pregnant and began having severe pain at the base of my spine. The obstetrician told me he didn't see anything and was still planning to perform the C-section end of the week. Within 2 days I was in the emergency room with several hot, swollen areas above my buttock crease. A surgeon agreed to drain the pilonidal cysts but told me to wait until I had delivered to follow up with him. This procedure took 20 minutes and it was immediate relief. Within 5 months, the same thing happened. This time I called the surgeon's office and the surgery was performed the following day. What a relief, finally. These things are painful and take months to heal..