Phlebitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis.
What were your phlebitis symptoms?

I was born in 1956, with deep vein thrombosis in my left knee area. Severe swelling occurred when I became active, consequently, I wore Ace bandages to school/play, and was miserable with throbbing pain at night. At age 6, I had surgery for phlebitis which involved cutting around the knee cap area and folding that skin back, thus allowing the doctor access to the large group of connected veins which pooled there under the knee cap area. The surgery was a success. I've had normal growth in my leg (some doctors warned I would not) and have yet to develop arthritis from trauma to that knee..

I have had 6 deep vein thromboses (DVTs) in my right leg and one in my lady parts after a tubal ligation 18 years ago. I now have been getting phlebitis. I don't experience pain, but my leg looks discolored, purple/blue and there are spots where the blood pools. I take two blood thinners and am constantly at the doctor’s. My doctor looked away after seeing my leg. I am 50. I should not be dealing with all this. I move around all the time and I am not sedentary. It's so upsetting to see my once nice legs look beat up and almost bruised. I am looking for a solution for getting rid of the phlebitis. My veins are popped out, my knee has a knot in it and my ankle looks terrible..