Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst.
Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

I had a large ganglion cyst appear on the top part of my left ankle. The doctor aspirated this 3 times over the course of a year but each time it returned, and each time it appeared to be larger. Nearly 4 weeks ago I was admitted for surgery to remove it. An epidural was administered and I was in the theatre for 2 hours as it turned out the nerves were knotted in with the ganglion cyst. It was not a painful procedure but the recovery has been very slow. I have not been able to put any pressure on the foot because of hematoma around the wound. I am due to return tomorrow and hope I will be discharged, but somehow don't think I will be..

I had a large, painful ganglion cyst removed from my right wrist when I was 25. Recovery was approximately 3 weeks. The cyst never returned. I had a golf ball-sized ganglion cyst removed from my right ankle three weeks ago and am shocked at how long the recovery is taking. Based on my pre-surgery appointments, I thought I would be back on my feet (literally) by now but I'll be lucky to be walking without crutches in another 10 to 14 days. I am now on antibiotics to help relieve the hematoma that formed. I hope I am lucky as lucky as I was with my wrist. If you decide to have surgery, be prepared for a long recovery..