Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst.
Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

My orthopedic surgeon diagnosed the large bump on the top of my right foot as a ganglion cyst about 2 years ago. I also noticed that I had a bump on my ankle. He ordered an MRI to see what was going on. It turned out that it was also a ganglion cyst and the two were connected. He drained the cyst through the bump on the ankle. He said there was a 50% chance that it would return and it did. He said he could drain it again, but it would probably return again. Now I feel it is affecting the way I walk and makes me limp sometimes because my foot doesn't flex. It also hurts sometimes. He originally told me to leave it alone. But he also said that I could see another orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet. I think I will do that to see what he thinks..

Published: March 29

I first noticed my ganglion cyst on my right wrist when I was about 12. I had it drained with a needle several times, but it kept coming back. When I was 17, I had it surgically removed, but within two years it was back again. I am a massage therapist and my cyst disappears and reappears off and on, seeming to reappear and get bigger and more painful during times when I am massaging a lot. It's a nuisance and I wish it would stay away! I would not suggest the surgery if you are going to be paying out of pocket since it is likely to come back eventually..