Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults).
Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

Published: June 30

I have been experiencing stabbing pains in the middle of my stomach for 3 days now. The pain is frequent but irregular and lasts a couple of minutes at a time. Sometimes it causes me to double over, other times I can cope with it. When I say irregular I mean I can wake up in the night with pain, take pain killers and go back to sleep but then be woken up again 3 hours later, then go back to sleep for several hours and wake up ok. This has been accompanied with a high temperature, headaches, fatigue, lethargy and diarrhea. I have vomited but only on the one occasion a couple of hours after a meal, I had not eaten properly for a few days so ill assume my stomach had shrunk a little and I ate too much for my stomach to handle. I have had the stomach pains around 2 weeks ago but they disappeared, unfortunately they returned a couple of days ago and seem to be lasting longer than the previous time. I have visited my gp, who pushed around my abdomen a little, then took a urine sample for a pregnancy test which was negative. I then had a blood test, which also came back ok; ruling out appendiscitis so I'm now left with an inconclusive condition and the pain is still there. If you have any new information you may be able to submit it would be helpful. .

About twice a month, I get a nagging mild pain deep down on the left-hand side of my abdomen that can last for about a week. I tend to associate it with flatulence, bladder weakness, feeling below-par and lacking in energy. When this phase passes, I generally feel fine until the symptoms reoccur some time later..