Ingrown Toenails - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ingrown Toenails.
What treatment has been effective for your ingrown toenails?

Published: April 21

Initially I received laser therapy for a fungal infection in my big toe. This helped get rid of the fungus but after a while I noticed the nail was thickening on one side as if it was due to overgrowth or hypertrophy, which then became ingrown. I don't know whether the fungal infection caused this change in my nail growth or whether there was a type of over-stimulation of nail growth from the laser treatment. I recently had the offending nail edge removed which has eased the symptoms for now..

Published: March 16

By accident I stubbed my big toe (which has always grown in) and it split my nail down the middle, so I just left it to grow out. After a while I noticed that the nail flattened out from being rounded and the pain and in growing nail was much better, since then I have soaked my feet until the nail softens then I get a very sharp pair of nail clippers and put a nick in the middle of both my big toe nails and now they are almost normal. Must be done when the nail is soft so that it doesn't splinter when you cut the nick in. Worth a try..