Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.
How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

One Sunday night as I was getting into bed, I got a major case of the head spins when I lay back with my head to the left. The next night I had the same thing happen but more violently. This continued every night as well as when I looked up at the ceiling at any time. I recall during the day of the first head spinning episode, I had been at the beach and had been diving off a pontoon into the ocean and doing a somersault as I entered the water. I had done this hundreds of times before. After doing some research and figuring out that I didn't have a brain tumor, I realized that I most likely had a case of BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). I researched further and read about self-performing the Epley maneuver. After having head spins every time I lay down or looked up for about 4 weeks, I decided to give the Epley maneuver a go myself. I did exactly as the instructions said, the whole process taking about 2 minutes. I did it before I went to work in the morning so I could stay upright for as long as possible that day before lying down again. It worked first time! My vertigo was gone. That was about 4 weeks back and I have not had the slightest hint of any head spins since. I have even been for surfing lessons and been tumbled around in the waves with no re occurrence. If you have BPPV then you must try this at home yourself. It is only a couple of minutes of bad head spins you have to put up with. Better than weeks or months of it!.

When I was 46 I woke up at 3 am on my left side, looking up. The room was spinning. I moved to my right side in a fetal position until I felt better. I woke my husband. I said I thought I had a stroke. We sat outside until I felt better. I went to the emergency room the next morning. They diagnosed me with vertigo. I did not have another episode until I was 62. I was swimming (elementary backstroke) in a pool. I did not concentrate. I swam into the end of the pool, hit my head, and immediately got vertigo. I have been to an ENT, also physical therapist. They worked with me for 3 weeks. It got better. I still have vertigo almost every day, if I look up just a little. I have been having scans for an unrelated health issue. I am having a PET scan next week. I will have to look straight up while I am on my back. My primary care physician has given me patches for motion sickness and 2 Valium. I am very anxious. The last time I had a scan I got vertigo, yelled, and cried. It is awful..