Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.
How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

I seem to follow a pattern described in several comments. I got up about 3:00AM to go to the bathroom, staggered and almost fell to the floor before falling back on the bed. After resting a few seconds I was able to get back to my business. The following morning I felt drained but went about doing some things outside. While trimming a tall shrub I needed to look up and became so dizzy I had to stop. I went on for a couple of days with the dizziness returning periodically; it would not go away completely. Three days later I attempted to change a shower head and received another severe shot of the dizziness. I stopped and called my excellent PCP who worked me into his busy schedule that same afternoon. He was very familiar with my overall health situation but asked several questions and carefully examined my eyes, ears, nose throat BP, etc. He then performed the Epley Maneuver. He first had me lie on my left side and look toward the ceiling and nothing happened. We then repeated the maneuver on the right side and all hell broke loose. I felt like I had been put on a top and someone pulled the string. I was holding on to anything I could reach and my doctor was holding on and telling me to bear with it a few seconds. He then proclaimed that I was suffering from BPV and explained as much as he knew about the condition. He hoped the Epley Maneuver would cure the condition completely but that I should feel at least 50% better. He gave me some exercises called Brandt-Daroff to do at home in a set of five repeated twice daily. He also prescribed Meclizine but I can't tell that it helps any. When I do the Brandt-Daroff exercises there is no sensation at all on the left side. When I am on my right side the spinning recurs but not as severely as with the Epley Maneuver. After one week of the exercises I sense an improvement in severity of spinning while exercising. After completing the exercises, I feel completely drained with a subdued feeling of motion sickness. My case is obviously less severe than many of those described in the viewer comments. I have been fortunate not to have suffered severe nausea and vomiting although coming close a few times..

Published: March 29

I woke up at 3 in the night with severe dizziness, lots of sweating and nausea. It scared the hell out of me. After going to the hospital and having a battery of tests done from MRI to CT to a Heart Echo , I was finally told I have BPV. It’s been 5 days since I left the hospital and I still have some dizziness in the mornings which gets better as the day progresses. I have been prescribed Vertin 16 to help with the dizziness and it does help to some extent. I hope this dizziness goes away soon..