Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.
How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

When I was 46 I woke up at 3 am on my left side, looking up. The room was spinning. I moved to my right side in a fetal position until I felt better. I woke my husband. I said I thought I had a stroke. We sat outside until I felt better. I went to the emergency room the next morning. They diagnosed me with vertigo. I did not have another episode until I was 62. I was swimming (elementary backstroke) in a pool. I did not concentrate. I swam into the end of the pool, hit my head, and immediately got vertigo. I have been to an ENT, also physical therapist. They worked with me for 3 weeks. It got better. I still have vertigo almost every day, if I look up just a little. I have been having scans for an unrelated health issue. I am having a PET scan next week. I will have to look straight up while I am on my back. My primary care physician has given me patches for motion sickness and 2 Valium. I am very anxious. The last time I had a scan I got vertigo, yelled, and cried. It is awful..

I went to work fine, went to bed that night and vertigo hit me about 12 am. I woke up spinning terribly, and had nausea, diarrhea, and hot/cold chills. Two weeks prior to this I had been extremely tired, like I could close my eyes and be asleep. My husband had to call 911. I went to hospital, they gave me Zofran for the nausea. It helped while I was there. They took blood work, also did a heart test. They told me I caught a virus and sent me home. It is 2 weeks later and I am still having dizzy spells, followed with stomach aches, and tiredness. Followed up with the primary care physician and she diagnosed me with BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). However she did no tests so I am not sure how I got the diagnosis. She gave me meclizine for the dizziness. I have also had stomach aches through this whole ordeal, and haven't been wanting to eat either. I feel like I am going to have to see another doctor for second opinion because I just can’t continue like this, it is terrible. It has affected my work and personal life terribly..