Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
What was your experience with carbon monoxide poisoning?

My carbon monoxide poisoning came from a truck. (I’m a truck driver.) The truck had an exhaust leak, and the carbon monoxide came in the cab. I was in the truck for four days. I had to ride with the windows opened; that’s what saved me. My company refused to fix the truck and demanded I do my job. When I got back home off the road, I had them send me to the doctor. My levels two days after getting home were still 10.7. My head felt as if my brain was trying to push out. I had a headache that was out of this world. That was a year ago, and I have not driven since. Now I have migraine headaches, which are no fun at all..

Check your furnaces every year. We just found that the senior apartment my mother lives in has a furnace that was blowing carbon monoxide back into the room. It is a 30 year old furnace and of course, the housing owners won't replace anything until they get a grant to do it. It has probably been like this for at least 2 years or more and guess what? Mom developed a brain damage condition a couple years ago that is progressive and has been getting worse as time goes by, causing loss of speech and memory, confusion, weakness walking, all symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. We went to neurologists and specialists galore and no one had an explanation. Wonder if they ever tested for carbon monoxide poisoning? I was always puzzled that her condition seemed worse in the winter. Get your furnaces replaced with ones that blow the soot and carbon monoxide out instead of letting the soot build up and block the carbon monoxide from getting out the flue. Check every year. Hers was burning yellow which is not right. It is more common than anyone realizes!.