Frostbite - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Frostbite.
What was your experience with frostbite?

Published: March 10

I fell down in my yard, lost my balance and had a bad fall. My left thigh/buttock landed on an electrical group and wire rod that was sticking out of the ground about 2-3 inches. All my body weight fell onto this rod causing a very painful, deep bruising. I immediately applied a gel pack ice pack to the thigh/hip area and due to the pain from the bruising. The ice pack was left on the injured area for approx. 30 minutes without using a towel or cloth between my skin and the ice pack. The injured area had become completely numb and when I removed the ice pack, the area underneath was completely WHITE and NUMB. The area looked like defrosted chicken breast and felt like rubber. I removed the ice pack and tried to warm the area by staying outside (70 degree weather) for a few minutes. The area stayed white and continued to be numb. I then cut an aloe leaf off my plant and started applying it directly to the area, it was sore to the touch, burned and was stinging. I continued with the aloe for hours into the next 48 hours. It has now been 72 hours since the injury and I started using Neosporin on the burn and almost all the normal skin color has returned except for an area about 3X3 inches..

It was probably about -39 that day and being a follower I decided to go to my friend's. Upon leaving the house, I passed out into a snow bank for about two minutes then continued on my way. I was only outside for about 15 minutes and my hands were frozen solid. Through the walk I was disoriented and not in the right state of mind. I knew something wasn't right but I just couldn't put my finger on it. (Like the pun?)I made it to school and eventually my father came and picked me up and brought me to the hospital. I was told that if I were to be outside any longer I would have had to get an amputation. I had to go through the unthawing of my hands. The water was only around lukewarm, but it felt like my hands were on fire. .