Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke).
Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Published: April 22

I was doing some physical therapy on my neck specifically exercises building upper back muscles when I suddenly couldn't remember what the tech had told me to do. I also did another exercise without ever remembering that I did it. The loss of memory was the big thing that occurred but I regained it after about an hour. I also had a BP of 190/100. I remember hearing an ambulance was being called but do not remember very much about being taken by ambulance to the ER. Some blood tests were run and a CT scan but everything came out OK. My doctor has since ordered an MRI of my brain, an MRA and an ultra sound of my carotid arteries. Although I appeared to outsiders as not losing consciousness, I couldn't remember what I had been doing, the president of the US and what day it was. Once I came out of this state, I could remember the president and day but have no idea what had happened at PT after a certain point..

I am 51 years of age and recently had a TIA. Oddly I woke from a sound sleep and felt what I can best describe as a buzzing sensation in my left arm and shoulder and left jaw. I woke my wife as this sensation wasn't going away after about twenty minutes. She suggested that we take my BP, which turned out to be 195 over 100. She said we were going to an ER and off we went. On arrival they by-passed the routine and took to me to a CT scan and gave me Aspirin. I was never told why it happened but after an EKG, MRI and a couple echo’s. I was told it was a TIA and to date don't know why but you can bet I'll work on the things I can control like stopping smoking..