Leg Pain - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain.
What was the cause of leg pain?

I have had nightly leg pain for so long now that I can't even remember when it began. I would guess around 1992 but not sure. The funny thing about it is that it only occurs at night. The nightly leg pain began with a burning sensation in both legs, sort of like what your skin would feel like after being burned, or like sandpaper being rubbed roughly over your skin until it's raw. Now it's changed to not only the burning, but also pain throughout both legs. I've learned to sleep through the night but it's not a real restful sleep. If the pain wakes me, I can get some relief by sticking my legs out of the bed covers, or raising my knees up, but it is hard to keep them up for long. But it still returns when I cover up again. Last night my legs hurt so bad that even when I got up in the morning they continued to have pain. I decided to go for a walk and that helped relieve the pain. Once, a while back, my doctor told me it was peripheral neuropathy and said he could give me a medicine for it. I declined. I've learned to live with this pain for so long and I don't want to take medicines for it. I just would like to know what it is and why it started..

Published: June 24

I have chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 4, and had experimental drug of Acthar gel for 16 months, then one dose of rituximab to maintain kidney function, and then on prednisone for 6 months. I am no longer taking any of this medications and having severe bone pain in legs and arms. I have been checked for all kinds of cancers, all negative. I wonder if the bone pain is after taking any of these drugs..