Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess.
What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

I woke up one morning to find my jaw swollen up like a golf ball. I kept a close watch on it several days. with no change I went to urgent care was told it was a swelling in my soft tissue prior to this I had a very bad cold my glands were swollen as well. Was given antibiotics. And since I had no pain not to worry in less a dramatic change. So off I went again swelling went down still a knot in my jaw, no pain. I return this time was told stronger antibiotic. Return again was told that abscess is soft mine is hard. Referred to a hospital to have a cat scan to make sure it was not a tumor or something. Was told again it was a Harding in the soft tissue of my jaw should go away on its own not to worry. For some reason I didn't settle with this I had a feeling it was my tooth by this time the swelling went down looks like a boil on the outside of my cheek that is now draining puss with a foul odor not once have I had any pain. Two weeks later I arrive at my dentist appointment. After x-rays was told I had an abscess on my tooth the infection has traveled away from my tooth and stored in my jaw nothing they can do. Referred me to a specialist in the San Francisco an hour away from home. So I thought the specialist ends up being a dentistry school I can’t believe it. This is still ongoing now I have a dent in my cheek it appears from the infection eating at my tissue. .

Published: December 09

My seven year old daughter has just come out of hospital after 6 days! Due to an abscess! No complaints about her teeth were made by her recently! She woke up on the Monday with a slightly swollen cheek, took her to the doctors got told it was a viral infection! The next day her eye was also swollen slightly took her back to the doctors and told the same as before! By Wednesday morning her whole right side was swollen and her eye completely shut, took her to er and they found the abscess and rushed her down for surgery! Three days later she had another drainage op done as more build up in her face as there was so much! Parents beware how quick things develop in a child!.