Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess.
What treatment was effective for your abscess?

I am currently recovering from what appears to be a perianal abscess. It had me bedridden for days. I searched online for home treatments and tried 2 of them. First was a mixture of baking soda with Bragg apple cider vinegar. I made a paste and placed it on the abscess. After the 3rd time the abscess began to discharge and relief was immediate. It went from pain level 10 to about a 7 to 8. The vinegar paste burned a little so I decided to try the more popular tea tree oil and turmeric paste. That also burned but I sucked it up and applied it for at least an hour at a time. I did these applications for about 4 days straight. It would help it discharge as much as possible and I also took Augmentin and then amoxicillin during the entire time. The abscess is still draining but I am around a pain level 3 so I am one happy girl. As a precaution, I am probably going to see a doctor, but just want others to know that if you find yourself in a bind, those 2 home remedies do work..

Ever since childhood I have had what the Navy doctors diagnosed as sebaceous cysts of the scrotum. As I grew through adolescence, so did the abscesses. I would use a needle to excise the 'cheese' while squeezing and let it heal on its own. I know now that wasn't the smartest procedure, but it worked. Later in life the number and frequency of the cysts have diminished dramatically and they barely developed. Now that I'm in my 50s, I have also developed cysts under my armpits and sought my doctor's advice. He gave me antiseptic soap to wash the area with, 3 times a day. It either worked or they just went away on their own. With the summer months and the increased sweating, I have had a recurrence and found the best solution is to just let them be and they eventually are absorbed back into my body. There is a syndrome named after someone that points out a certain trait where a person will develop cysts in their feet, penis and hands. I have them in 2 of the 3; maybe it just occurred on my scrotum and missed the penis. Hands and feet could cause issues later in life, but so far I'm just dealing with it. I hope my testimony helps..