Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess.
What treatment was effective for your abscess?

I had an abscess develop on my buttocks once and it festered off and on for about a year. The only treatment given it was to allow it to burst on its own, which it did after a year. I then made a paste of raw garlic and applied it for an hour. No more problem since..

I am currently recovering from what appears to be a perianal abscess. It had me bedridden for days. I searched online for home treatments and tried 2 of them. First was a mixture of baking soda with Bragg apple cider vinegar. I made a paste and placed it on the abscess. After the 3rd time the abscess began to discharge and relief was immediate. It went from pain level 10 to about a 7 to 8. The vinegar paste burned a little so I decided to try the more popular tea tree oil and turmeric paste. That also burned but I sucked it up and applied it for at least an hour at a time. I did these applications for about 4 days straight. It would help it discharge as much as possible and I also took Augmentin and then amoxicillin during the entire time. The abscess is still draining but I am around a pain level 3 so I am one happy girl. As a precaution, I am probably going to see a doctor, but just want others to know that if you find yourself in a bind, those 2 home remedies do work..