Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter.
For atrial flutter, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

4 years ago I woke up with a rapid heart rate and chest pain. At the ER I was diagnosed with atrial flutter. After several changes of meds I was placed on Topral. Over time these spells of lightheadedness became worse but even a new cardiologist seemed stumped. EKG, ultrasound and stress tests were normal and finally 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with POTS and taken off of the Topral so that my B/P wouldn't drop so much. Needless to say after much frustration we have found a new Dr. who finally put me on an event monitor, bingo I have atrial flutter and I am now scheduled to see an electrophysiologist in 2 weeks for a probable ablation. I may still be having other vasovagel problems but at least I am thankful that my wife wouldn't give up and finally found a cardiologist who is not only listening but actually doing appropriate tests to find the problems. So our advice is if you aren't getting treatment find the very best Dr. at major medical teaching facility..

My a/f generally happens following a meal containing acidy or fatty food especially if I have alcohol, however I can go months without one then have 2 or 3 in a week. My heart rate goes up to nearly 200bpm and my blood pressure sores. I don’t have any other symptoms thankfully and my consultant told me to go to ER if it doesn't go back to normal within 6 hours. I take bisoprolol when it occurs and clopidogrel and simvastatin everyday. When I am free of the AF I try to forget about it and carry on with life as normal but when it happens oh dear I think I am going to die! Unfortunately the doctors don’t know what part of my heart is affected because the last time I was in ER and had an ECG they lost the read out! So I have to wait for another attack and go the 20 miles to the nearest hospital..