Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter.
For atrial flutter, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I have unspecified atrial flutter. I have events about every 10 days or so. I have pain in my chest when I have the events. I sometimes feel a little short of breath after an hour or two. I think it's due to the anxiety of the event because when I take a few deep breaths and relax my shoulders it seems to get better. It also makes me have to urinate very often during these events. I wonder if this will ever go away or if I will have it forever. I'm pretty healthy except for this. My events last 1 to 4 hours..

I have lived with arrhythmia (ventricular ectopic beats) and sinus bradycardia nearly all my life. I also have exercised keenly and continuously. I now realize (having been desensitized by the experience of life-long arrhythmia) I have been experiencing atrial flutter for many years, often merely triggered by innocuous things like the alarm clock in the morning, sudden unexpected exertion or changes in position, postprandial, and most lately, after strong exercise. Episodes may last 12 plus hours and heart rate at 130 plus and irregular. I take, nor have I ever taken any medication. In fact, I am reluctant to do so. I have recently acceded to an appointment with a cardiologist to determine the basis of the underlying putative conduction problem, chiefly because I am unable to exercise strongly if in atrial flutter and because of the sustained irregular tachycardia post-exercise. I continue to embrace life as fully and vigorously as I have always done..