Perforated Eardrum - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum.
What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?

The cause of my perforated eardrum has been ongoing since the age of 8. As a child I never realized that the pain and throbbing of an infected ear wasn't normal. My parents took me to an ear specialist when I was 12 and the treatments he used were incorrect as we found out years later. Because of continuous infections and mistreatment of the problem the ear drum was completely destroyed, hence hearing loss began. It wasn't until I was 21 that I realized how bad the hearing loss actually was, when at work one day my boss came in and I didn't realize he was speaking to me until I looked up and saw his lips moving. He was standing on the side of my bad ear. I sought out a well known ear specialist who surgically took part of my ear lobe to create a drum. Remember I could hear the nurse’s footsteps out in the hallway when I woke up - what a feeling! However, the very first cold I came down with burst the ear drum and created a severe infection. Had tubes in off and on after that to drain fluid build up. The drum never healed and left a small perforation which was repaired. Again, the first cold I got brought unbearable pressure and excruciating pain as the drum broke again. This time it healed with a microscopic hole which I've had for 30 years. Constantly wear cotton to keep air and wind out of it and Vaseline over the cotton when showering. Do not swim. Airplanes are the #1 killer with pain lasting 3-4 days after landing - do not fly. In the last 2 years, however, deafness in that ear is getting worse and hearing aids, if they're an option, are quite costly..

Published: December 09

I was wrestling with my son and he (playfully and unintentionally) slapped my ear. It doesn't hurt, but everything sounds very "tinny", like I'm listening through a pair of old, blown out speakers. I'm going to give it a week or two and if it's not better, go to the doctor..