Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain).
What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

I've had TN for 5 years. It's bad. I was put on Lyrica, I took 9 pills. Did nothing for me. Now I'm on Carbamazipine and now take 7 1/2 - 200 mg. They make me drowsy and dizzy. So far no pain. I go for a MRI soon. I sure hope they can do something for me. Attacks are bad. I don't eat or move for 3 days. Last attack was end of May and now end of August..

About 5 years ago, I had my first bout with TN. My dentist did not help. The neurologist gave me a medication that was totally bad - side effects. I would not subject myself to these horrors. I learned how to relax my jaw. When I did it right the relief was IMMEDIATE. During the 2nd visit to the neurologist, she told me that was the only way to do it, but most people did not take the time to try it. They wanted a 'pill' to take the pain away. Since then, I have had only 5-6 episodes lasting less than 10 minutes. When it happens, think about what is stressing you out. Go in the bathroom and lean forward and let the jaw relax. .