Broken Finger - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger.
How did you break your finger and what was the treatment?

I broke and fractured my right thumb in two separate places playing rugby recently, and went to the hospital as soon as I could. The doctor put a temporary cast on, then after two days when I went back, he put a bigger one on. Just a few days ago, he put an even bigger one which covers my whole thumb, palm, and forearm, up to my elbow. This has made me extremely immobile and I can’t do the most trivial tasks like rolling my sleeves or straightening my collar. It is also very inconvenient because I had to take three exams with my cast on, and had to write with my left hand. Most of all, my thumb is constantly hurting because I wasn't given any painkillers to alleviate the pain. .

Published: April 07

I broke the metacarpal bone of my right baby finger by hitting a door. The break was close to the metacarpal/proximal phalanx bone. It has been several months since the break, actually just over 12 months, and I cannot bend my baby finger to make a fist. It doesn't seem to want to bend at that knuckle joint. The bone was not set properly and is off-set slightly from a vertical perspective, if that makes sense. A second surgeon suggested that ligaments may have become stuck to the bone and that is preventing the full movement. I am due to have surgery again in a few days to cut the ligaments free. .