Broken Finger - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger.
How did you break your finger and what was the treatment?

I broke my index finger 2 months ago at work. I was thinking it was only a bruise but it never would heal and was always sensitive to touch. I was thinking I was hitting it and reinjuring it. I finally went to the doctor and it was a minor fracture in the farthest bone in my index finger. I am in a small aluminum cast to protect it and will see him again in three weeks. Hopefully it will not be irritated and will heal..

Today I smacked the tip of my forefinger with a piece of wood. The skin opened considerably on the side of the finger, and there was quite a bruise immediately, and it swelled up a little. I washed it out with soap, which hurt. I applied antibiotic ointment, and put gauze and tape on it. I applied ice for twenty minutes. Since the pain is moderate now, and movement is free and almost painless, and swelling is moderate, I think no bones were broken and no serious damage occurred to tendons or ligaments. But there is some sensitivity to touch near the skin break. The gauze and tape keep the tip immobile relative to the rest of the finger..