Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot.
How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

I stepped in a hole in the parking lot. At first I thought it was a bad sprain. My husband brought out a motorized cart. I didn't try to walk until I got home. The pain was horrible. This happened on Friday and I decided to go to the doctor on Tuesday. X-rays were taken and I was told I had a broken bone on the side of my foot and was told I had to go to the orthopedic doctors. I got in on Friday and saw a physician’s assistant. One of the doctors decided I didn't need to see a doctor. The bone on the side next to my little toe was broken. One bone had three breaks in it. The ligaments and tendons were stretched, but not torn. I was given a moon boot to wear. What a pain! I was told not to walk on my foot. The pain is so bad, I couldn't put any weight on it if I wanted to. I have a walker and I can put a little weight on my toes. This boot is making my back and hips hurt. I don't know if I can put up with this six weeks. I was told I could take the boot off when I sleep, and other times as long as I didn't try to walk on it. Sometimes I have to take the boot off because it causes my foot to hurt worse. I have pain pills but they don't stop the pain. The walker is causing my hands and wrist to hurt. Because I have to put all the weight on my left foot, it is causing that foot to hurt and swell. If this ever heals I never want another broken bone. I broke my ankle on the same leg 15 years ago, but it wasn't this bad. I have had a bad year. I fell off a kitchen stool in July and broke my tailbone, now this. They need to fix the holes in their parking lot..

Published: June 09

I would like to share my story in hopes it might be helpful to someone and also hoping to get support and encouragement. While hiking, and not being careful, I broke one bone in my left foot (5th metatarsal) 7 weeks ago. I am in a walking boot and used crutches for the first 3 weeks with it. Podiatrist says that it's a 'lucky break' so I am able to bear weight on the foot but of course only with the boot. After 7 weeks, x-rays showed bone had healed but the doctor wants me to stay in the boot for 5 more weeks. She said it's because of repairing the surrounding tendons..