Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot.
How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Published: December 09

I was taking my dog outside at 1am in the morning. I was at my daughter’s home; I had to take him off the porch, which is different than what he normally do at home. Her porch has 3 small steps, I have two at home. I stepped down, missing all the steps or stepping down onto the first step. I landed on both feet, flat. Realized I was on my left side, going into the bushes along the brick sidewalk that I had landed on. When I got myself up, after saying something, both my feet were burning and tingling, so much, I could only shuffle little by little to get back into the house, up the stairs and back into to bed. I still had pain during the night, tried to keep my feet elevated. The next day, I realized that I had twisted both of my feet, one more than the other, my right being the most, toward the left. I went to the ER, the next morning, had x-rays, I had a fracture in the middle of the side of my left foot. I had a soft cast put in place. I was shown how to use a cane, and to put ice on the foot. I took pain medication x2 every 3-4 hours. The pain did subside except when I was walking on it, as long as I kept it elevated, the pain was less. I have a new support for my foot. It is called a boot, which I can take off for a shower and going to bed. I am a nurse, but don't take care of myself, obviously by not waking my husband up to take me to the ER, when I first fell. This is the second time I have fallen on these steps, also once at our own at home, the same way. First time I have had a fracture. I have restless leg syndrome, I have weak ankles, and I am a fast walker and very easily could be thinking of other things than going downstairs, when it is cold, windy and wanting to get back into the house. I also may have had my dog in my arms, or I may have already put him down and I was going to walk him around. I sometimes wonder if my depth perception is off. .

I was running my dog and stepped on a pine cone and rolled my right foot. I heard a crack but got up and quickly fell down, as I could not take the weight on my foot. I got home and just put my foot up for an hour or so. It was the night before Halloween, so I got dressed in my costume and wore 4-inchheeled boots no problem until hours later when my foot came off the bar stool and could not hold me up. I got home and put ice on it. When I woke up the next day, it was kind of blue and swollen. So, all day I had it up, and it felt good enough to go out and be a zombie and do the thriller dance in front of hundreds of people. It was sore but not "painful." The next week, I went to the gym and cycled and lifted weights but did not run. On the ninth day, I was told to go to the doctor by many friends. That’s when I discovered my foot was broken. Now I’m in a black soft cast up to my knee. I have no pain, but I am having real issues with not being able to exercise. I wear my cycling shoes off and on because I need to drive and walk, and they have steel and hard plastic bottoms. I went to the two-week checkup and the doctor told me it was healing well. I asked if I could run a 10K after six to eight weeks and he said, "Absolutely not!" .