Laryngitis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Laryngitis.
How was your laryngitis treated?

Started as a tickly cough but after a week and a half I woke one night unable to breathe. This went on for a short while ending in my being sick a couple of times. After a few more days and noticing my throat closing during the day when I coughed, the first Dr I saw diagnosed Bronchitis even though my chest was clear. Two nights later I woke again unable to breathe and this episode lasted even longer - the most terrified I have ever been in my life. I saw another Dr the next day who diagnosed laryngitis - apparently it is rare but the throat can close over as it did with me. I was prescribed steroids and antibiotics. This was yesterday, and despite taking 6 steroid tablets last night, I again woke at 04.00 with my throat closing over. I'm now scared to go to bed, and if I have another episode my husband will call 911..

Published: June 20

I spent several hours a day over the course of a week weeding and pruning several hundred feet of Ligustrum hedges, and most of that time was spent at ground level removing palm sprouts and clumps and runners of sword fern, and several years of accumulated leaf waste. After a few days of this work I developed significant congestion and laryngitis (limited volume and vocal range, but no sore throat).I suspect the cause was either leaf mold spores, fern spores or fungal spores that I saw on some of the ligustrum. The laryngitis eventually cleared up about five days after completing the weeding. Had it gone on much longer I would have sought treatment. Good thing I wasn't scheduled to deliver any classes during this period, and I'll be careful to avoid such work in the future if it could impact paying work!.