Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C).
What was the reason for your D&C?

I went through IVF (in vitro fertilization) and got pregnant. I went for an ultrasound at 7 weeks and there was a heartbeat. At 9 weeks I went for another ultrasound and there was no longer a heartbeat. It was such a sad feeling. I decided to have a D and C instead of miscarrying on my own at home..

The reason that I had to have a D and C done was because of prolonged bleeding. I had been reporting it to my doctor for about a few weeks and there was nothing being resolved. I knew I was not pregnant because I had my tubes tied after my son was born 3 years ago. It started out like a normal cycle but after the required time for my cycle to go off it didn't. I would bleed from one month to the next, go off and stay off for about 2 or 3 days and back on again. My primary doctor referred me to an obstetrician and I had an endometrial biopsy done. The results came back that I had endometrial polyps on my uterine lining. I was then scheduled for a D and C and a hysteroscopy to be done..