Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C).
What was the reason for your D&C?

I was about 7 weeks pregnant when my D and C was done. I had been seeing my doctor once a week since I was 4 weeks pregnant because I was asked to go for follow up ultrasounds after my baby measured small for the fetal age and also because they were unable to detect a heartbeat. After two weeks of the baby growing only a minimal amount and then not growing at all before my last ultrasound, my doctor called and said it is likely I would have a miscarriage. Although he did not want my husband or myself to give up hope just yet. But, by week 7, I had started bleeding (not a severe amount but enough to know something was very wrong). Less than a day later, my doctor had me in the office for another ultrasound and an internal exam to see what was going on and he told me that the miscarriage began on it's own. He then asked me if I would be ok with doing a D and C because he was worried about me not expelling all of the uterine contents and it causing problems later. I went in for the D and C immediately after since my ob's office is in our local hospital..

I was almost 9 weeks pregnant and the baby died at 6 weeks and had no heartbeat. I tried taking the pill to expel the baby which that part worked but my body did not expel everything. I have chosen to do the D & C due to the pills not completely working. I wanted to avoid surgery but all the pain I went through with the pills was insane and I am just ready for my body to go back to normal..