Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C).
What was the reason for your D&C?

The reason that I had to have a D and C done was because of prolonged bleeding. I had been reporting it to my doctor for about a few weeks and there was nothing being resolved. I knew I was not pregnant because I had my tubes tied after my son was born 3 years ago. It started out like a normal cycle but after the required time for my cycle to go off it didn't. I would bleed from one month to the next, go off and stay off for about 2 or 3 days and back on again. My primary doctor referred me to an obstetrician and I had an endometrial biopsy done. The results came back that I had endometrial polyps on my uterine lining. I was then scheduled for a D and C and a hysteroscopy to be done..

Published: April 21

I was 12 Weeks pregnant and went in for my first ultrasound when I was given the bad news. I was really excited for it was our first baby. I was told by the obstetrician/gynecologist that I was most likely going to miscarry during the night and to go to a hospital they designated. Well, things got really bad. I lost a lot of blood and by the time I got to the hospital for my appointment I was almost unconscious. It turns out I had a vaginal hemorrhage and had to have a D and C immediately. There was a lot of tissue from the baby still in my uterus that caused the hemorrhage according to the doctors. It was a really scary experience since I am fairly young and it was my first pregnancy..