Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT).
For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

My experience with deep vein thrombosis began with a foot and ankle injury. My ankle, my foot and the bottom half of my leg swelled every day. My toes went purple, my foot went ice cold, numb and had a burning sensation. Cramping in my leg and a constant deep pain was also present. I was on T3s which helped a little, but the side effects like having a problem going to the bathroom was a big issue. A gentle overnight Ex-Lax solved that problem. Later it was discovered, and I'm talking three weeks, that I had a huge clot in the main artery in the groin of my right leg. I am now on warfarin for the next six months to prevent any more clots forming. If you have problems walking long distances with cramping, burning and pain in your legs, I urge you to seek medical help. Chances are you have a clot or decreased circulation to your legs. Clots can break free if untreated, travel to your lungs or heart and kill you. Don't neglect or dismiss the warning signs. Your body is trying to tell you something is not right..

Published: June 02

I had swelling in my left foot for over a year. I thought it was because of a new blood pressure medicine. My doctor sent me for echocardiogram and it was fine. The swelling got worse and one day I thought I had pulled a muscle in my inner thigh. After ultrasound I found out that I had a very large blood clot extending into my abdomen from my left leg. I was 3 days in ICU. I had 2 days of catheterization to dissolve and remove the DVT (deep vein thrombosis). I'm now attending Coumadin clinic once a month and recovering nicely..