Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome.
Please describe your experience with cauda equina syndrome.

Published: June 05

I had a vehicle accident feb 5, 2013. Almost immediately I started having pain in my right hip & leg. I went to the ER the next day. They said everything was fine and probably had pulled a muscle. They gave me pain pills. Well I still was hurting, after a couple weeks so I went to my doctor, they gave me a steroid shot in my hip, that seemed to help some. Then one morning I woke up and had an horrible pain going down my leg, went to ER. They gave me a shot an pain pills. The next day I could not walk on right foot it was cold and numb. Went to my Dr. and got another steroid shot. Next day my left foot did the same thing, then I lost my bladder and bowel, went to another ER they took me right in, did a MRI, within minutes a surgeon came and said he had to do emergency surgery. He told me that I may never walk again, I had CES at the L4/5. It's been 21/2 months. I have no feeling in my legs and my hips and I'm having therapy and I have had some results in my left foot. I still have problems with bladder and bowel. The surgeon told me that this could have been prevented if an MRI had been done before I lost everything. I have drop foot from this and if anyone has this as a result of CES, please let me know..

Published: June 10

I have just noticed this article of Cauda Equina Syndrome, and to my surprise that was most of my symptoms. I have endured 3 surgeries on my lower back. The Last one a Dr. put 2 rods on both sides of my spine, and since that was done all has gone downhill. Both my legs are not trustworthy to walk even in the grocery store for fear of falling, I never know when my legs will go out on me and I will fall. The pain is always with me. A pain management Dr. inserted a pain pump that I have to have filled every 3 weeks. So now I am addicted to the drug Morphine, and that has become just another problem for me, because do I not only have the pain, but if I go a day or so longer without the Morphine, that adds to the pain I already have. “People PLEASE listen to this if anything else, once you are addicted to the Morphine; it’s a living hell to get away from it. PLEASE if it's offered to you please read everything you can about it! Especially the part about getting off the pump. I was never offered that information. Nor was I told it would become addicted to the med. ( I am ignorant to Meds. and what an impact they have on your life.) .