Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome.
Please describe your experience with cauda equina syndrome.

I got cauda equina syndrome (CES) from medical negligence. I went to the emergency room and my doctor with back pain and was turned away. I lost everything, my bladder included. I live in pain day and night. I can walk but wear braces. I take lots of pain medicine and have lost most of my sexual function. I have to catheterize in order to urinate at all. I must reach up and pull feces out of my bottom because I cannot push it out. My legs are freezing all the time. I fight for medication and help from doctors. I live pain pill to pain pill hoping to get better someday, maybe with stem cells. CES is terrible stuff, the kind of thing that will test your whole soul, body, and mind. Hold tight to your mind and seek pain help!.

Published: June 05

I had a vehicle accident feb 5, 2013. Almost immediately I started having pain in my right hip & leg. I went to the ER the next day. They said everything was fine and probably had pulled a muscle. They gave me pain pills. Well I still was hurting, after a couple weeks so I went to my doctor, they gave me a steroid shot in my hip, that seemed to help some. Then one morning I woke up and had an horrible pain going down my leg, went to ER. They gave me a shot an pain pills. The next day I could not walk on right foot it was cold and numb. Went to my Dr. and got another steroid shot. Next day my left foot did the same thing, then I lost my bladder and bowel, went to another ER they took me right in, did a MRI, within minutes a surgeon came and said he had to do emergency surgery. He told me that I may never walk again, I had CES at the L4/5. It's been 21/2 months. I have no feeling in my legs and my hips and I'm having therapy and I have had some results in my left foot. I still have problems with bladder and bowel. The surgeon told me that this could have been prevented if an MRI had been done before I lost everything. I have drop foot from this and if anyone has this as a result of CES, please let me know..