Breast Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection.
What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment?

In March 2014 my breast became quite painful and very hot. The nipple was enlarged and my breast resembled an overripe tomato. A needle biopsy and a mammogram were done. I was then scheduled for outpatient surgery and the breast, containing a large amount of pus, was drained. The incision was left open to heal naturally. By September I had contracted pneumonia and the breast had filled again. After spending 2 weeks in hospital being treated for pneumonia, my breast was again drained and incision was stitched, leaving just a small ¼ inch tube near nipple. The day I left hospital the tube was removed and the area stitched. That incision has never healed and I often find my night clothes and sheets speckled with blood. I have also spent the past 12 months on oral antibiotics. I experience incredible pain that radiates from the breast, under my arm or down my arm and occasionally pain spreads to other breast. I had an ultrasound done last week and fortunately it did not show any masses. The doctor has offered me two choices; admit me to hospital for a series of intramuscular antibiotics or remove the breast. One side effect to all the antibiotics was the fact that numerous teeth crumbled and I was admitted to hospital, put under general anesthesia and 5 teeth removed. As I suffer from COPD general anesthesia is not the best option but we shall see what my doctor says next week..

One morning, I woke up with a very painful breast. I found a very large lump and the area where the lump was located was very sore. The pain became unbearable. I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with mastitis. I was issued a 7-day course of antibiotics and told to come back in a week to ensure there was no lump left. Within a week, the pain was gone, but I was left with a dull ache. I’m okay now, but I urge any woman who suspects she has this condition to try not to panic and to seek medical attention at once..