Dive Medicine: Sea Urchin Puncture Wound - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dive Medicine: Sea Urchin Puncture Wound.
Share your sea urchin wound experience.

I was wading in on the beach at a small resort in the Philippines 2 days ago. As I was walking through water about 5 ft. deep I felt a pain that felt like I had stepped on glass and sliced my big toe open. When I made it to shore I found about 5 tips of sea urchin spines broken off just at the top of the skin. It hurt like crazy at first but I was fine a couple hours later. Now 2 days later there are still 4 of them in my toe but it only hurts if I try to remove them. I guess I’ll let them stay unless they start to give me trouble. But yeah, those little critters are not something to mess with..

I stepped on a sea urchin in Waikiki and got a good 10 large spines and 40 to 50 small spines stuck in my foot. Lifeguard pulled out most of the larger spines, kept telling me it was no big deal and I should be able to get back in the water when he was finished. Four days later after seeing my primary care physician and getting antibiotics, the larger spines are still embedded are not getting any better. I am about to have my buddy knife out the remaining large spines, I'm afraid it's too risky to leave them in my foot..