Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking.
Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

I am the youngest of five daughters...we are all "active sleepers." I wake up with bruises and cuts all over my body at times. I don't recall these events but have been told that I have conversations that don't connect to anything (requesting window cleaner and garbage bags or asking who is in the closet for example), talk on the phone, cook dinner at 3am, watch TV, folded laundry, driven (very scary) and wandered around my house or yard. I also kick and punch imaginary foes. While in the Army I tied a boot lace from my arm and the rack to avoid wandering (an immediate discharge). I have also hurt myself quite badly. My husband told me that I went to get our youngest son who was an infant at the time and crying. He heard a crash and when I returned I told him my foot hurt. I woke up screaming in pain. I had ripped a ligament in my ankle. The ER did not believe that I didn't remember the event and suggested domestic violence counseling. Due to other issues I started taking Ambien and do not move hardly when I sleep if I take this medication. It does not make for a restful night but it keeps me out of the ER. Otherwise I am quite healthy. Yes my kids are active sleepers as well, as are most of my nieces and nephews..

My husband is 43. He told me he was medically discharged from the Navy for sleepwalking. I never experienced it until a little over a year ago, when he'd grab the lamp of the night stand while laying down and put it on the floor and fumble with it. I asked what he was doing and he said scanning an item. He does that at work. He would not stop his fumbling so I told him he was dreaming, and to stop, and he became angry saying I was interrupting his work. I was afraid he was going to break the light bulb and cut himself, I tried to take the lamp from him, but he threw it across the room, cussed me out, took his blanket and pillow and went to sleep on the couch. About an hour later, he came back asking what happened. Something similar happened a few weeks later. Then last night he got up, started fumbling with a box on the floor, ripped the top off, when questioned he said he was filling, something he does at work, yelled at me, then he started peeing in the box, when I told him to stop he was sleepwalking, he cussed me out, slammed the bedroom door, went into the bathroom, and came back told me I was crazy and went back to sleep. .