Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy.
Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Published: April 06

I had a very positive experience and believe me, I procrastinated for a year because I was so fearful of the procedure. I had an initial consultation with my doctor a few weeks before the procedure, and I thought he and his office staff were very caring. That helped calm me somewhat. I was told to drink 3 bottles of magnesium citrate over several hours the day before and it was very easy to tolerate. I was also given a recommended liquid diet to follow. I drank a lot of water, ate some jello and had some chicken broth. I was so bloated that I really didn't want much and I was anything but hungry! I would recommend getting an ointment because my bum did get sore. Make sure to drink more water than you think you need because even though I drank plenty, I woke up very thirsty. You won't be able to eat or drink the day of the procedure. Once I was taken into the operating room I was given medication before the procedure began and I think I slept through the whole thing! I only remember the events before receiving drugs. All in all, people have different experiences and concerns so you should meet the doctor first. If you don't like him/her than go to someone else who you feel will take good care of you!.

The worst part of the whole thing? Fasting for two days with nothing but CalMag and other liquids. The doctor told me it would take about 20 minutes and he would talk to me in an hour. Know what? It did and he did! The best part? He found a couple of polyps, removed them, cauterized the site, and told me I was good until my next "oil change" in another five years. I was apprehensive after hearing all the negative and horrifying stories but the reminder of my father dying of colon cancer within one year of diagnosis pushed me to have it done and I do not regret it for a second. I felt nothing "I saw nothing; I heard nothing" and went home with a relieved mind. I recommend it to anyone who has had relatives diagnosed with colon cancer. Do not let negatives dictate your approach to good health..