Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy.
Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Well, I had the split preparation and then a colonoscopy. The preparation was not bad at all, not bad tasting at all; the Gatorade and Pedialyte tasted worse, too sweet. I was totally clear at the end of it. I slept as soon as the drugs went in, Fentanyl and Versed, then lucky enough to wake up to watch the screen and see the labyrinth that is my large bowel. Great. Then back to sleep. I just have to say that this test is so important. Don't be put off by the fear of preparation that may taste bad or opinions of others; form your own opinion..

Published: June 19

My first colonoscopy was done today. I am glad it is over but it was not terrible. The preparation by far was the hardest. The clinic I went to uses Colyte and was consumed in 2.2 l doses. Mouthwash after each drink seemed to work the best. I tried tea, peppermint lifesavers and plain water as well. I think it is best to follow the diet beforehand, the laxatives were not so hard on my body. This morning I was there by 7 am. I chose to do it without the sedatives as they make me feel so sick. They took my blood pressure and hooked up an IV and oxygen in the event that at some point the pain got unbearable. The doctor started the procedure and twice I had to tell them I had pain. The nurse directed me to take some deep breaths and she applied pressure on my stomach twice and then I was told 'they reached the destination.' I was alert and saw the scope and watched one polyp being removed, total time start to finish less than 15 minutes. They wheeled me back to recovery and two quick checks of my blood pressure a quick stop in the bathroom to assess bleeding and I was on my way. I know that this is not that easy for all people, all the time, but I think that doing it without the drugs makes the rest of the day following easier to deal with. It is important for us to monitor our colon and I now have a baseline going forward..