Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy.
Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Published: June 19

My first colonoscopy was done today. I am glad it is over but it was not terrible. The preparation by far was the hardest. The clinic I went to uses Colyte and was consumed in 2.2 l doses. Mouthwash after each drink seemed to work the best. I tried tea, peppermint lifesavers and plain water as well. I think it is best to follow the diet beforehand, the laxatives were not so hard on my body. This morning I was there by 7 am. I chose to do it without the sedatives as they make me feel so sick. They took my blood pressure and hooked up an IV and oxygen in the event that at some point the pain got unbearable. The doctor started the procedure and twice I had to tell them I had pain. The nurse directed me to take some deep breaths and she applied pressure on my stomach twice and then I was told 'they reached the destination.' I was alert and saw the scope and watched one polyp being removed, total time start to finish less than 15 minutes. They wheeled me back to recovery and two quick checks of my blood pressure a quick stop in the bathroom to assess bleeding and I was on my way. I know that this is not that easy for all people, all the time, but I think that doing it without the drugs makes the rest of the day following easier to deal with. It is important for us to monitor our colon and I now have a baseline going forward..

Published: April 08

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. It was the most painful experience I have ever gone through. I would much rather go through a bone marrow biopsy again which was slightly painful but nothing like this. I shouted for the doctor to stop but they just kept pushing gas and air into me. I was writhing around the table trying to get away from him because he wouldn't stop. I have painful joints and bones and have been left in so much pain where I was hanging onto the arm rails in pain. I am trying to gather information from people for whom this has been painful to take this further to try and stop people having to feel this much pain whilst they are having it done..