Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst.
What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Published: March 09

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was 17 years old. At first I had thought I had chipped my tailbone or something like that. I later had found out that it had become infected. It was so painful that I couldn't sit right and developed back problems. There were no exterior signs so when I discussed my pain in my tailbone and back, we decided to go to a chiropractor. It helped with the back pain but not my tailbone. After several months of pain and 3 chiropractor visits the cyst ruptured. There was some relief because the drainage caused the pressure to go away but the smell was horrible. After an emergency visit to my doctor he explained what it was and recommended I have it surgically removed. My scar was 4 inches long and almost 2 inches deep. The worst part besides the actual pain of the surgery was repacking the wound twice a day. I would remove the dressing, clean the wound, and then my mother would have to pack it with gauze. It was disgusting. So heads up if you are feeling slight pain in your tailbone. Don't wait too long to have it checked out..

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was in my early 20s. I didn't know that it was there until after it burst. There was a lot of pressure on my behind and I found it more and more difficult to move as the days went on. On about the third day I went to my doctor and he said that I had probably broken my tailbone. I went to get X-rays but the pain was so bad that I pleaded them not to make me lie on my back. They told me I had to so when I did the infection that had been building up burst through my skin. The next day I went back to my doctor, and he sent me to the hospital for emergency care. After seven hours in the waiting room, a surgeon came in and told me that I would need a drain. He put the drain in me without any anesthetic. After the drain was removed I had the dressings in the open wound changed daily by homecare. It wasn't healing so the surgeon decided that I needed further surgery. This time I was given anesthetic but the huge gaping wound was so big that you could see my spine and there were lots of tracks that needed to be packed and repacked on a daily basis. It was extremely painful. They would still would not heal so I went to a special wound care clinic. I was given a further surgery and was put to sleep this time. After the surgery my wound still would not heal so I had a medical vacuum attached with a sponge in my wound which dried out the wound. I had to wear this machine all of the time and had to go to the hospital every day to get the sponge ripped out and changed. It was also incredibly painful. Eventually the wound healed after a few months with the vacuum. The whole ordeal was a year and a half and was so horrendous. I actually had another cyst that burst while I was healing from the previous one but since there was a track left, it luckily drained itself. I wanted to let everyone know that if you are in the same situation that I was in, the vacuum really can help you and was the only thing that would work for me..