Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst.
What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

I've had at least 11 pilonidal cysts since age 25. I haven't had one in the last 4 years. Cysts are always the same size and location. Top of the cleft on the right side, about the size of a 50 cent piece. There hasn't been hair in it, just pus. Some opened on their own, a few times I went to the doctor and had him open it. It was not painful when the doctor drained it (instant relief). Here are my tips. I use an antibacterial soap (Dial) to clean the cleft area. Use a hand shower and warm water to rinse area well. Stay away from oily or creamy soaps. If you get one and can't get in to see a doctor, try to rinse it with hand shower and warm water 3 or 4 times a day. It seems to help bring it to a head and drain. Sounds weird, but if it's draining, buy Poise overnight bladder pads. Ultimate absorbency. Remove the strip that covers the adhesive, stick pad in back of underwear, so it covers draining cyst. Pull on underwear. Works like a charm as a bandage..

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was in the Navy. As a reservist there was little interest in curing me. I did sitz baths for a few weeks, but that did not help. When I was discharged I had taken a packet of a sulfur drug used in battle field dressings. It was with a gas mask that was being eliminated. I rubbed the powder into the sore and in a week I had no more trouble for forty years. Yesterday I got it again. I am going to try some antibiotic cream..