Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome.
What treatment was effective for your TMJ?

I had lockjaw, and the help I got was acupuncture. That was 5 years ago, it has not locked since, but still aches now and then. But I would say the treatment for my TMJ was a success..

I have had TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) for a moth now. Two weeks ago the left side of my face just froze, I could not talk, or move it. I am in constant pain from my ear all the way down my neck. The doctor put me on muscle relaxers, all it does is dope me up, although the pain does go away for about 4 hours. I have gotten to the point where I don't think my family practitioner will give me any more relaxers. Due to having poor insurance there is nothing I can afford for the dentist to do for me. I am at a loss, I hope it goes away in time. I wear a night guard but it doesn't seem to help. I have begun biting on my tongue as well which leaves sores and welts on it where it hurts to eat..