Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT).
What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

I had a tummy tuck 5 weeks ago. Two and a half weeks after that surgery I woke up with groin pain. I went to work, and by mid- day, my left leg was the size of both put together, and dark purple. (I work for my plastic surgeon). A doctor immediately gave me 3 aspirin and a co- worker rushed me to the ER (emergency room). After a Doppler was done it confirmed what we all knew it was. I had a massive DVT (deep vein thrombosis) from my groin all the way down to my toes. I was immediately taken into surgery where they inserted an IVC (inferior vena cava) filter for my protection. I was placed on heparin and TPA (tissue plasminogen activator). Three days in a row I was in surgery having angioplasties. My clot dissolved from the bottom up. I spent 4 days in the ICU and 2 days in a regular room. I was discharged with a small clot still in the groin area. I was sent home with Lovenox injections which I did twice a day for 15 days along with Coumadin daily. I am now off of the Lovenox and at therapeutic levels. I've been cleared to take a 3 hour flight next week (4 weeks after all of this). I will have another sonogram in 6 weeks to see where I am in this whole process. I feel 90 percent better, but still have leg pain or fatigue if I'm on my feet too long. And yes, I wear Jobst stockings every day..

My ordeal actually began in mid January 2010 but wasn't diagnosed until March 2010. I had the tingling and swelling but my doctor attributed it to sciatica since I have lower back issues. I flew from IN to VA where I worked for two months. The day after I returned home, my leg was still swollen, achy, had red areas that were warm, and I had a little trouble breathing as well. I went to my doc's office, the nurse practitioner took one look at my leg and said it could be a blood clot. She suggested possibly a bug bite or a sprained ankle but I could tell she strongly thought it was a clot. I went to the local hospital, got it checked, and to my surprise, she was right. There were actually three areas where the clots could clearly be seen on the picture. I was admitted and that night had a CT scan which found clots in my lungs too. I spent only from Friday night to early Monday afternoon there on an IV of Heparin and started taking warfarin pills which I am still taking. I've been getting my blood checked every 2 - 4 weeks for over a year now too. Like Venus Williams said, I feel lucky to be alive..