Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT).
What treatment was effective for your deep vein thrombosis?

My ordeal actually began in mid January 2010 but wasn't diagnosed until March 2010. I had the tingling and swelling but my doctor attributed it to sciatica since I have lower back issues. I flew from IN to VA where I worked for two months. The day after I returned home, my leg was still swollen, achy, had red areas that were warm, and I had a little trouble breathing as well. I went to my doc's office, the nurse practitioner took one look at my leg and said it could be a blood clot. She suggested possibly a bug bite or a sprained ankle but I could tell she strongly thought it was a clot. I went to the local hospital, got it checked, and to my surprise, she was right. There were actually three areas where the clots could clearly be seen on the picture. I was admitted and that night had a CT scan which found clots in my lungs too. I spent only from Friday night to early Monday afternoon there on an IV of Heparin and started taking warfarin pills which I am still taking. I've been getting my blood checked every 2 - 4 weeks for over a year now too. Like Venus Williams said, I feel lucky to be alive..

My right leg began aching and cramping at night to where I had to get out of bed. Within a few days my toes were blue and very swollen! I went right to the podiatrist. She set an appointment up with the surgeon 3 p.m. the same day He had to put 3 stents behind my knee but there were blood clots at the base of my toes, my knee and groin area. I’m already showing signs of having the problem again..