Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones.
What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Published: June 02

I have had 3 procedures for kidney stones in the last 3 months. On my left side I had surgery and they got several hundred stones, were not able to get them all because the kidney swelled. A month later they went in vaginally and got the rest. Last week they zapped the ones in my right side. Nothing has passed yet. They do not know what is causing these stones. They are calcium stones, but my calcium levels are normal..

Published: June 01

I have had lithotripsy four times and am preparing for the 5th time. It is apparently effective in eliminating the kidney stones that I have, but then more appear, and I have to have lithotripsy again. From what I understand having lithotripsy all the time is preferable to having kidney stones all the time or having surgery involving incisions, but contrary to what they tell you lithotripsy is not easy and is not pain free. The last time I had it I was in the worst pain of my life, spent an entire night in the emergency room, and three more days flat on my back on bed. It was 6 weeks recovery time total..