Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones.
What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

I am just experiencing my second bout of kidney stones. I have also suffered gout in the past and I think kidney stones are just the next step along from gout, as they are both caused by excess uric acid buildup in the blood, causing painful crystals to form in different areas of the body. Bi-carbonate of soda has done wonders in clearing up both problems for me. Add 1 flat teaspoon in a small glass of water. Then drink lots of water and rest if possible. I find that I sleep a lot after taking the bi-carbonate and feel a lot better just after the first dose. Keep taking it until the stones are finally dissolved and all the pain is gone..

Published: June 02

I have had 3 procedures for kidney stones in the last 3 months. On my left side I had surgery and they got several hundred stones, were not able to get them all because the kidney swelled. A month later they went in vaginally and got the rest. Last week they zapped the ones in my right side. Nothing has passed yet. They do not know what is causing these stones. They are calcium stones, but my calcium levels are normal..