Anemia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia.
What treatment has been effective for your anemia?

I had severe anemia due to heavy menses (12 days per cycle) and fibroids. I had low energy and a variety of heart problems, incl. murmurs. Couldn't focus well at work and it felt like my brain was working slower, Shortness of breath just from walking up the stairs. Lived in remote area and got 1 liter of fluids (intravenous) at the Nursing Station, when I was bleeding heavily. This made me instantly feel good. Iron count was down to 2. I took high quality, high dose iron for 2 years and treated my bleeding with a natural health product called SLOW FLOW which reduced my periods to 3 or 4 days of moderate bleeding. I refused blood transfusions and did not have surgery, instead I have a yearly ultrasound to monitor fibroids, which are shrinking constantly (I am almost 50 and hope to enter menopause soon, which will put an end my anemia)..

Published: April 09

I can't wait until I see my internist Friday. I have told her all along that I was anemic - a blood test was performed which agreed. I too am eating ice like a crazy woman, but the worst thing I am undergoing is hurting all over my body. It is an effort to stand up and straighten my body and take steps. All of my muscles feel like they are contracting. My sleep pattern has been terrible, and my tongue is sore as sandpaper. I am 76 and pray that there are no underlying conditions which caused my red blood cells to go south.