Tailbone Pain - Recovery Time

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia).
What was the recovery time for your tailbone pain?

I didn’t have a fall, no injury or trauma to my tailbone at all. Last year on Thanksgiving, my tailbone started hurting for no reason and nearly 1 year later, it is still hurting and I still don’t have a diagnosis. Originally they thought it was referred pain from a loose screw from my spinal fusion, but my spine surgeon wouldn’t even consider that possibility even though another general surgeon, radiologist and my primary care physician says it clear on the x-ray and CT scan. Anyway, last week I had a ganglion of impar block in my tailbone to see if that is the problem, and it would appear the pain isn’t originating from the tailbone as the injection did nothing for the pain. I had 3 days of increased pain and then back to my normal daily pain I have had for a year. Next week we will do a hardware block so see if it is a loose screw causing the referred pain in my tailbone..

I slipped on a rain slick stair 30 years ago. The provider I saw, laughed and wrote a prescription for a year's supply of Motrin, and said that no one was going to be bothered by this fracture but me. He was correct. I have been bothered by tailbone pain for 30 years, in a constantly increasing fashion. At age 69, I can barely tolerate sitting, but getting up is worse, and please don't make me sit down again once I'm up. Now I can't take NSAIDs so it is much more apparent..