Total Hip Replacement - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement.
Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

In 1992, I fell off a galloping horse, wish-boned and dislocated both hips in opposite directions and broke my pelvis in 3 places. In 2008-09 I started having range of motion issues, mainly could not get on/off bike, etc. I then started having major pain in left hip. I did extreme research and found best bone doctor around. In December 2010 he did a lateral total hip replacement (THR) and had usual recovery, walking with support immediately with gradual increase to full walk without assistance in 2 or 3 weeks. The pain is all gone but x-rays showed right hip would follow soon. In December 2013 I had right anterior THR. I walked without assistance and up/down stairs in 2 days. In a week I started walking a mile every other day, and 2 miles every other day in 1 to 2 months after that. Most important is to get a good doctor and doing own due diligence; ask questions. A good doctor will be ok with questions and could even have a good chat, time permitting, etc..

Published: March 04

I had total hip replacement 7 weeks ago which seemed very good and my recovery was excellent. I now feel less than good. The only way I can describe it is like having aching flu in my hips and legs. Sleeping is dreadful, I dread the nights!.