Total Hip Replacement - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement.
Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

I am 7 weeks post operation with a THR of the right hip. The entire process has been like a cake walk for me. No real pain to speak of, a little discomfort, but nothing that I would call pain. I quit using the cane after the 3rd week, and now I walk normal. I can climb steps, and I can dress myself without any aids or help. I only take the pain meds as needed, no more than 2 per day. My last Doctor visit was Friday, Nov 12th, and the Doc said that I was a solid 1 year ahead of most others with my recovery. I no longer have the "real pain" that I had pre-opp for the last year or so, and I am totally pleased with the results..

My husband had a right total hip replacement in Aug. 2006. Shortly after surgery, he developed great pain in the area of the right groin. He went through three pain management injections, which did not help him. In Dec. 2007, after about 18 months of pain after his total hip replacement, he requested a CT scan of his hip. The doctor ended up doing another right hip revision in Feb. 2008. About six weeks after the second surgery, the same exact pain came back to the groin area. He saw his surgeon on a follow-up appointment, and his doctor told him to go to another pain management specialist. He did three more pain management injections, which did not help. I have taken him to other orthopedic surgeons, pain management doctors, and a neurologist. The neurologist says there is no nerve damage, so it must be a hip problem. We are still continuing to pursue solutions. He is in pain all the time. .