Total Hip Replacement - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement.
Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

I had total hip replacement in 3/2015. The surgery and recovery went fine, but 8 months out I started having outer thigh pain just above my knee. It wasn't too bad but affected the way I walk. Now I'm at 14 months out and in bad pain just above my knee up into my quadriceps. I have been back to the doctor and explained to him that I'm in bad pain, limping badly especially if I sit down for 15 minutes or so, when I stand up I can't even put pressure on it. I never had problems with my knee or back. The doctor says it's my back; it's not my back, it is severe pain in my thigh. It feels like it's in my bone, hurts to touch my thigh or if I bump my thigh it hurts. MRI is scheduled for next week as the doctor wants to rule out back problem..

I am 53 years old, skier, weight lifter, and desk jockey. I am 20 lb overweight. This is 10 days post anterior total right hip replacement. I am walking without cane. I have been working from home and hospital from start. It is healing nicely and I am walking more upright with better posture. No limp. There is burning pain at the incision, which is 5 inch vertical front and to the side. There is a numb patch around incision, but surprisingly not bothersome. Hardest part is sitting around. I am much more easily exhausted. Supportive wife helps. It is a humbling experience. Treat family right ahead of time..