Anaphylaxis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock).
What was the treatment for your anaphylaxis?

Published: December 20

Beware! Allergies can happen overnight, even with foods you've eaten your entire life. One year at a Christmas party I ate a wild mushroom appetizer. Hours later that evening I experienced that 'something is wrong' feeling. My heart was racing, my head became extremely congested and my skin turned bright red. My husband drove me to the ER, where I was given Ativan. The doc said it was most likely an allergic reaction, but couldn't say what caused it. The next year I ordered/ate the very same appetizer (not realizing that's what I was allergic to). Again, hours later I had a reaction, but this time it was severe and came on very quickly. I woke up with a 'histamine rush' with a pounding heart and head, cramping bowels, tingling all over and I ran for the bathroom. I made it to the toilet, but at that point my blood pressure had crashed and I passed out between the toilet and wall. Fortunately, my husband heard strange noises and came to investigate. I was unresponsive and foaming from every orifice. I awoke to paramedics. I was transported to the hospital and treated with adrenaline. .

I also had anaphylactic shock. I can honestly say I thought I was going to die. I took penicillin and within minutes my hands where itching like mad. The soles of my feet where burning and then I started to swell up on and around my face. I felt light headed and could not stop scratching at my arms. Within what I can only say minutes I was struggling to breathe. Everything else was a blur for a while. I cannot thank my friend Jackie enough for saving my life..