Hypothyroidism - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism.
What was the treatment for your hypothyroidism?

I am 46 and have been tested every six months for my thyroid cause the levels are always a little high but my doctor did not want to put me on med cause it is something you are on for life. This last test she decided to put me on it. The med is Synthroid and I got the generic kind. She started me out on 50mg and I felt awful so I went to 25mg a day and trying to work up to 50mg but I get really dizzy and nervous and a headache has anyone had this problem..

Published: December 23

For several years I have had some serious 'brain fog' that gave way mid-day to just plain fatigue. I described this to a number of doctors and added that I am irritable, and have lost weight and hair. An astute doctor started running thyroid tests three years ago. Then I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and no one wants to treat anything else. I finally succeeded in getting some lab tests done, but had to throw a fit with two doctors to get them. The T3 is consistently high, T4 is consistently low. TSH is all over the place and PTH is very high. I had to throw another fit to go somewhere to get another opinion. A thyroid scan shows 'many nodules' and the doctor called this reassuring. I am so frustrated and angry with these doctors I could throw a shoe. I will see the next doctor in about six weeks. Something is wrong and I just want them to find this and fix it! .