Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Published: April 27

I was inoculated against shingles when I was over 75. Then about a year and a half later, first a deep pain in the left side of my back started. After several days I noticed a ring of blisters around my waist. I thought this couldn't be shingles, but went to my doctor who verified that it was. For six weeks I was in agony, never given any anti-viral drugs and the pain in my back felt like a knife being turned. People said that it must have been a light case because, after all, I had been inoculated. Many nights, it was so painful I willed my heart to stop beating but obviously it didn't. I just hope it never returns..

Published: April 05

I had ear and neck shingles twice. First bout was at the age of 30 and second at 47. It started with my earlobe swelling, turning red and burning/itching. First time it took 3 emergency room (ER) visits and an urgent care (2 weeks) to have my doctor tell the ER what I had via phone. Second time is now and at 24 hours I ran to my doctor’s office. My lobe is about 3 times the size, red and hot. I now have a rash running from my ear down my neck. I am taking valacyclovir and prednisolone pack. My throat is hurting, but no blisters yet. I am also putting on a lidocaine patch cut to wrap on lobe. I hope this time my ear doesn't blister and then turn black. I am a very active hiker and stay in shape. I am not at all the type they say are at risk. Ugh..