Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
What were your shingles symptoms and signs?

One evening I had a long sleeve shirt on and it kept itching in my forearm. It felt like a plastic tag would feel if it were still in the shirt. It irritated me so much I changed my shirt. But I also noticed when the shirt rolled over the skin it tingled. The next morning I woke to a single jolt in my forearm. My shoulder blade started having tingly skin with random nerve jolts. For 2 or 3 days I didn't say a thing but I had a good idea what was going on. My shoulder is now a 4 inch patch and I have 3 small patches down my arm. I had to remove my wedding ring because my finger has a spot too. I have not suffered any other symptoms except a headache the night before all this started. I am not in any pain yet. Skin feels very different along the nerve path of the lesions but so far so good. I was put on acyclovir 5 times/day for 10 days. I was absolutely not surprised I got shingles. I have asked my primary care doctor about the shot for years now. He's awesome but he would chuckle and say I am too young for the shot and ask me what makes me think I will get shingles. I have suffered with cold sores on my left lip since I was 4. I'm good for 3 plus nasty ones a year. These shingles are also on my left side. Coincidence! I don't know what path these will take, 10 to 14 days of pain and then gone, or months of agony; but I wish anyone who gets them wellness. Take care of yourself and know your body. If something doesn't feel right and you can't explain why see the doctor fast..

Published: June 09

My shingles outbreak started with a patch of tender skin on my right scalp that hurt when touched. Next I started getting an ache in my right jaw back around my molars. I thought maybe I had a deep cavity or something. Then my right ear started aching the next day. Then later the third day, I started getting red bumps around my right ear and on the right side of my face. These started aching and were itchy, so I went to the doctor and found out it was shingles..