Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism.
What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

A week ago today, I noticed shortness of breath after running up a flight of stairs which was unusual for me but my first thought was that I must be getting out of shape. So I dismissed it as just that. On that same day I noticed sporadic involuntary gasps for air every so often. That's what prompted me to research such symptoms. It was advised that I seek medical attention immediately, which I did. I went in to see my doctor and a saturation test indicated something was very wrong. My doctor suspected PE and sent to over to our local hospital for further testing, including a CT scan. He was correct. I had some blood clots in both lungs. The pulmonary specialist determined I was a rare case because there is no indication of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) having taken place and no other factors to support a diagnosis of PE. He remains baffled. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday after a few days on Heparin via IV and Coumadin. .

After having shortness of breath and pain in my left lung, went to urgent care. Was told it was a virus and they gave me cough suppressants. Feeling being in a few days, then suddenly had difficulty sleeping, breathing, coughing. Pain then transferred to right side. I thought I had pneumonia. Husband took me to ER, where I was eventually diagnosed with multiple PE in both lungs. I asked for antibiotics so I could go home, as I did not know how serious this really was. Doctor could not tell me how much longer I would have lived had I not gone to ER. First thing the nurses asked me was are you on birth control pills (which I was). I ad four-day hospital stay and now I’m on warfarin for six months. .