Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism.
What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

I was watching TV when suddenly I couldn't breathe. I called 911 and when the emergency medical technician/paramedic checked my EKG, he gave me an aspirin. In the emergency room I was poked and prodded. I was given, among other drugs, morphine and nitroglycerin. A technician came and drew more blood and I inquired why and was told that enzymes in my blood indicated I had, had a heart attack. I was then sent to a cardiac unit in another hospital where I was promptly stripped of my clothing to ready me for surgery. A group of doctors began questioning me. I was a bit vague on the pain in my chest because I pretty much hurt all over. A doctor pressed me very hard and out of confusion I offered up, 'well, my leg has been bothering me for some time, but I don't pay attention to aches (I’ve been operated on everywhere). An ultra sound was done of my leg, and a chest x-ray. After which I was not allowed to get up to go to the restroom. I was told I had many clots in both lungs and lucky to be alive. After a 4 days in the cardiac intensive care unit I was sent home to administer my own shots in my abdomen. Further blood tests revealed I had some kind of hereditary defective gene that predisposed me to DVTs (deep vein thromboses). I have now been on warfarin for years and expect to stay on it for life..

I experienced sudden shortness of breath but ignored it for several days (very stupid). Finally I went to the emergency room. D-dimer result was high, CAT scan showed bilateral pulmonary embolism and ultrasound showed a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in right leg. I was very fortunate to have a cardiologist who had done a lot of research on the use of what he called safe dose thrombolysis. He used low dose TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) and within 3 hours my oxygen went from 86 to 98. No more shortness of breath and was released on Eliquis 5mg twice daily. It has been 3 months and so far so good. I had no pain or swelling in my leg and no pain in my chest only the shortness of breath. Doctors called it an atypical case. Take shortness of breath seriously, it can save your life!.