Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism.
What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

I experienced sudden shortness of breath but ignored it for several days (very stupid). Finally I went to the emergency room. D-dimer result was high, CAT scan showed bilateral pulmonary embolism and ultrasound showed a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in right leg. I was very fortunate to have a cardiologist who had done a lot of research on the use of what he called safe dose thrombolysis. He used low dose TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) and within 3 hours my oxygen went from 86 to 98. No more shortness of breath and was released on Eliquis 5mg twice daily. It has been 3 months and so far so good. I had no pain or swelling in my leg and no pain in my chest only the shortness of breath. Doctors called it an atypical case. Take shortness of breath seriously, it can save your life!.

Published: June 01

Two weeks ago I fell from the railing on my deck and tore my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). I was placed in a knee Immobilizer until an MRI determined the damage. I started experiencing pain and slight swelling in my calf. Ten days after the fall an MRI confirmed the ACL tear and an ultrasound confirmed multiple DVTs (deep vein thrombosis). At the emergency room the doctor got concerned because I had low oxygen levels and high respirations. Sure enough, there were multiple PEs (pulmonary embolisms) in both lungs. This was 2 days ago and yesterday I was sent home with blood thinners and no other instructions. I have to admit I'm a little scared..