Gout - Diet

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout.
How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

I have had problems with tendonitis, bursitis and yes, gout since I was a teenager. High uric acid runs in the family. My father passed from a disease called polymyositis a severe form of rheumatoid arthritis. I have even had some gout attacks that landed me in the emergency room. This time though was different. I had knee replacement surgery, and the surgeon reported to me that I had tophi coated on all the ligaments and joints in my knee. That was after the surgery and it created such a gout flare up that I was put in the ICU for three days after surgery, with intravenous Dilaudid and the weaker morphine. Well, I used to like to drink gin. I haven't had a drink since that episode. I am three-quarters vegetarian now. I lost 30 pounds, I dropped from 220 to 190. I get regular exercise and flare ups still happen like waves rippling out from the initial attack, each one is weaker than the last. There is one practical piece of advice, or I should say my opinion as to deal with this, stay ahead of it. Get yourself a bottle of prednisone and stick it in the back of a door somewhere. Then, when on Friday night a flare up occurs you don't have to suffer until Monday to get to the doctor (if you can get in). Take 40 mg for 4 days, 30 mg for three days, and 20 for two days. Naprosyn, colchicine, meloxicam, Indocin, they all work, but not like prednisone..

I eat only vegetables. I suffer with pain in joints of big toes and thumbs..