Gout - Diet

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout.
How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

I was diagnosed with gout in a thumb a few months ago. After taking Uloric for 2 months my physician took me off the meds and there have been no symptoms for a few months. I had a small cocktail on Tuesday night and the gout symptoms returned the next morning. I had swelling up my wrist and hand with lots of pain. Last night I drank a triple berry smoothie with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, milk, yogurt, and ice. I also drank water before going to bed. I believe that the smoothie ingredients and water helped to relieve the pain and I awoke with no swelling and no pain! .

I have had gout flares three times. The last two were six months apart and extremely painful. I just had a uric acid level done but it is normal. The doctor says it is still gout. You can still get it even if level is normal. I don’t eat a lot of red meat or drink beer, so I don’t know what causes it for me..