Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids.
Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

I am 52 years old and was told I have a fibroid that is 11cm. It was found after I went to emergency because I was bleeding really heavily with blood clots the size of golf balls!! The doc prescribed a pill that lessened the blood flow to spotting. I have an MRI scheduled for Dec.2nd to see if there is anything else there that I should be worried about like cysts etc. I was so scared before I found out what was wrong with me. Bloating ‘constant back pain and heavy long lasting periods with spotting in between. It's a weight off my shoulders and even though I have to wait so long I am doing something about it. I want to have a hysterectomy and hope to leave my ovaries in so that my hormones are not affected too much. I hope The MRI will clear things up and help me with my decision. Apparently you have to have a D&C anyways even if you have the noninvasive embolization and then it may not work..

I am a 40 year old female from South Africa. I have been diagnosed 2 days ago with fibroids and I also have upper left abdominal pain. I am in my second marriage and my husband has no kids. We have been trying to fall pregnant for the last 9 months and nothing. I also have not had a period for 3 months. Most of my periods have been extremely painful with blood clots and heavy bleeding. I am seeing my doctor again on Monday, for her to diagnose further and advise what steps we will take to overcome all these barriers. I read that drinking bicarbonate of soda with Apple Cider Vinegar also reduces fibroids. I'm willing to try anything right now..