Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids.
Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with a 20 cm uterine fibroid when I was 48. Due to its position, I had had no heavy periods, etc., just got very bloated (but put it down to age). Eventually, having had a stomach bug, I realized there was a large solid mass in my abdomen and saw the doctor. I went for ultrasound and TV scans (which showed how large the fibroid was) and had a long discussion with the gynecologist as to the best treatment. The suggestion was made that I could wait for the menopause, but I realized that could be up to 8 years away and no guarantee the fibroid would shrink. I asked about a myomectomy and we agreed that I would take a drug to shrink the fibroid and a decision would be made when I returned in 3 months. In that time I chatted to loads of friends, many of whom had had fibroids. In several cases, they'd tried a myomectomy only to have more fibroids grow (and eventual hysterectomies). After 3 months, my fibroid had only shrunk to 16 cm and it was agreed that a hysterectomy was the best option. I had the operation a month later and after postoperative recovery time, have never looked back. I can breathe properly again, exercise (couldn't bend before as the lump pressed on my diaphragm) and have heaps of energy. Please don't think that hysterectomy is the end; as far as I'm concerned it was a new beginning. Whatever your choice, I wish you well..

I am 52 years old and was told I have a fibroid that is 11cm. It was found after I went to emergency because I was bleeding really heavily with blood clots the size of golf balls!! The doc prescribed a pill that lessened the blood flow to spotting. I have an MRI scheduled for Dec.2nd to see if there is anything else there that I should be worried about like cysts etc. I was so scared before I found out what was wrong with me. Bloating ‘constant back pain and heavy long lasting periods with spotting in between. It's a weight off my shoulders and even though I have to wait so long I am doing something about it. I want to have a hysterectomy and hope to leave my ovaries in so that my hormones are not affected too much. I hope The MRI will clear things up and help me with my decision. Apparently you have to have a D&C anyways even if you have the noninvasive embolization and then it may not work..