Brain Aneurysm - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aneurysm.
How was your brain aneurysm treated?

Published: March 09

On august 2, 2010 at 12:45pm I had a sudden outburst of the worst headache ever when sitting at lunch when at work. I felt my ears pop and then the worst headache came suddenly after. I broke out in a cold sweat and laid down on an exam table. The nurses at my employer checked my blood pressure which was high. I worked directly across from a hospital, but was in so much pain, I couldn't take myself there. An ambulance was called and transported me to the ER where a CT was performed. It showed bleeding on the brain. I then underwent an MRI which showed a ruptured aneurysm. A neurosurgeon arrived within 5 minutes and discussed my options. I elected to proceed with the endovascular coiling. Because I just ate lunch, surgery couldn't be performed until 4pm. Surgery was successfully performed and I was in Neuro NICU for 1 week, with me being sensitive to everything. I was released from the hospital on August 11 and went back to work on August 30. I've had to do cerebral angiograms as follow up appointments. I am very lucky to be here today!.

My sister age 58 died of a brain aneurysm in July. She was just out walking her dog and came in and collapsed. They did emergency brain surgery in the ER and then a 2nd operation. They put her in a low temp coma and tried to bring her out, she slowly died over 3 days and then 2 days to declare her truly brain dead and harvest her organs. 3 days after her funeral the stress of her death killed my Mother. It has been over 5 months now and I still can't believe she is gone. I don't understand why, I wonder if the fact she had epilepsy since a child had any factor, or that she had gastric bypass surgery several years ago. My sister loved life, the outdoors, and adored her grandchildren. Her life was cut short for no reason and this horrible incident has shaken so many peoples’ lives. I'm 10 years younger and my doctor is telling me to get tested, but I don't want to. RIP Sue we all love you..