Gallstones - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones.
What was the cause of your gallstones?

I am overweight (75kg) and 36 years old. I was experiencing stomach pain for nearly five years now. I'm still working in Singapore as DH that time. My employer always sends me to the doctor to have prescription from the doctor who diagnosed it as ulcer only. So every time I feel pain I just took a pain reliever tablet and after a few minutes the pain will subside. Only year 2009 that pain constantly attack for almost every month and the medicine I took have no effect already that makes me seek doctor's advice from our place, here in Philippines. And the doctor told me that the symptoms I experienced is that I might have a gallstone..

Published: March 13

I'm a slightly overweight sedentary 47yr male. I've eaten what I liked forever. Then last Christmas I had the norovirus. Having lost a few pounds saw this as an opportunity to start a stricter diet. I ate little but often for three weeks before first bout of indigestion - never had heartburn or indigestion in my life. The evening meal was fatty over-indulgence (like I used to before Christmas). The attack was 1 a.m. in the morning. Since then I’ve further attacks, worsening each time, and all in the early hours of the morning, and all after a high-fat meal. I diagnosed as having gallbladder inflammation caused by small gallstones moving around and blocking biliary ducts. These gallstones had been there years and only became a problem when I lost weight quite quickly after being ill. The attacks were very painful episodes, so rather than suffer the risk of these recurring, and having to avoid eating the food I love for the remainder of my life. I opted for keyhole surgery to remove the offending gallbladder and gallstones..