Gallstones - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones.
What was the cause of your gallstones?

Three months ago I had my first bout of severe pain and vomiting. I assumed it was a kidney stone. I am not obese, I don't eat meat and I am fairly active for a retired 54 year old grandmother. Gallstones never entered my mind though I wish it had. Now I am in real trouble. I went to the emergency room five nights ago really hurting. The technician did an ultrasound on my gallbladder. I was told that I had many and very large stones and they are obstructing my bile ducts. I was admitted to the hospital, taken to the operation room for a procedure called an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram). The surgeon was unable to remove the stones. I spent four nights in the hospital, vomiting bile and needing heavy duty pain shots. I will be, on Monday, in the operating room having my second ERCP. If this does not work they will have to open me up. Don't let this happen to you. If you have symptoms don't put it off. Go to your doctor..

I am overweight (75kg) and 36 years old. I was experiencing stomach pain for nearly five years now. I'm still working in Singapore as DH that time. My employer always sends me to the doctor to have prescription from the doctor who diagnosed it as ulcer only. So every time I feel pain I just took a pain reliever tablet and after a few minutes the pain will subside. Only year 2009 that pain constantly attack for almost every month and the medicine I took have no effect already that makes me seek doctor's advice from our place, here in Philippines. And the doctor told me that the symptoms I experienced is that I might have a gallstone..