Fibromyalgia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia.
How was your fibromyalgia treated?

Published: March 25

I had fibromyalgia for about 20 years. I fortunately had it diagnosed almost immediately by a wonderful female doctor. It was very debilitating at first. I had to rest after cleaning my bath tub, a very painful process, and I was only in my 40s. The pain did not go away. My doctor prescribed aerobic exercise and Flexeril. That drug made a big difference in the amount of sleep I got. I exercised for 20 minutes every day except Sunday. (That was all my pain tolerance would allow.) Whether those are what kept it a fairly mild case or not I have no idea. Recently I tried Cymbalta and am happy to say I feel like I got my life back. After about 2 years on it I have regained some of my energy level and am now lifting weights and exercising more to increase my energy level. Being 67, I will never get it all back, but I can't tell you what a difference it has made in my life. I can sit still without aching all over after half an hour (which makes travel bearable) and can ride bike for as long as my old muscles will allow me to. At least 2 hours. I believe I am fortunate as I have no noticeable side effects from the drug and it really does work for me. I sincerely hope there is soon a cure for everyone who has it..

I too have been diagnosed with this life altering disease. The sad part is, it causes so much pain and disability but my doctor says it is not grounds to place me on disability. I am in trouble at work now and I have been sick with no pay. I don't know how long I have had this but a recent operation made the symptoms that much worse, after having a hysterectomy the nurse attempted to make me walk and after standing up my whole body began to shake. I fell back onto the bed and burst into tears, it was as if my body went into shock. I understand the person who commented about the dr suggesting exercise but the pain keeps you from doing anything I have just started walking on my treadmill 2 months ago before I could not bear it. I wish that the health industry would recognize this as a real life altering disease..