Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax).
What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax in September 2011 it was Tuesday night when I felt a sharp pain in my right side I thought nothing of it and went to bed. The following morning I woke up could not breath I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to my G.P who sent me home with an inhaler and antibiotics and was told to come back the following morning, when seeing a different G.P I was sent to hospital for an x-ray I was kept in hospital for 3 weeks I never received surgery but did have a chest drain inserted twice and it is no fun {as other suffers have said I would not wish this on my worst enemy.} doctors are still reluctant to give me surgery due to my first collapse. I wake up each morning so hoping to feel 100% but it will always be at the back of my mind. i am still signed off my work as I am waiting for my follow up x-ray and have been told by my G.P that my lung has not fully inflated yet. I was a smoker, but not tall or thin. I have not had a cigarette for nearly 2 months now and will never smoke again due to my experience. I was sent to hospital yesterday after seeing my G.P as I was experiencing the same symptoms I was lucky as I was informed that the pain i was experiencing was my lung trying to inflate and stick to the lung sack..

Published: March 11

My lungs collapsed when I was a newborn. It has always been a story my mom would remind me of saying my lungs weren't right and all. She never told me whether it was because of a broken rib or something. I never knew what it was like to know the pain after surgery, obviously because I was only a baby. I have a scar and I always look at it thinking, "Wow, so I have a chest-tube inside of me." Just thinking about it gives me the chills. I haven't collapsed since I was a baby. I'm just wondering what are the things I should and shouldn't be doing for it to not occur anytime soon. I sometimes feel it like it’s about to tighten up, and it scares me. I think the last time I felt that was about 2 months ago. .