Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax).
What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Published: April 17

I recently had a spontaneous pneumothorax, just like my uncle, I was actually at a hospital with my wife’s dad when I got mine. I felt severe pain in my shoulder and back out of nowhere, walking with a plate of food. I had to sit down for a while, didn’t know what it was, and thought maybe sprain or bursitis (had before as well). I waited 5 days before actually going in, it was starting to feel better, so that’s why I waited until it only got so much better. I went back to the hospital and they said I had a 50 percent collapse. Insane, man! I had a tube in for about 7 days, and I stayed at the hospital. It’s been about a month, and it’s getting better, unfortunately the two surgeons who placed the first tube, severed nerves when they pushed the tube in, it was the absolute worst pain imaginable. My abdomen is paralyzed on the right side now, and clothes feel like fire on my skin. I don’t know if I can do anything about that. I got Neurontin prescribed, yet to take one, gets filled tomorrow. I've quit smoking for about a month (since surgery) but I'm in a lot of pain and have little patience..

Published: April 16

My recovery from diverticulitis was slow and painful. I was septic and dying by the time they removed my colon. I also had to wear a colostomy bag and the abdominal wound became very infected and had to be packed with gauze strips 2 times a day for over 3 months. I got stronger as time passed (about 5 months) and just about the time I was feeling pretty well, I went back to have the colostomy bag removed and my bowels reconnected. My recovery time was a lot less that time because I wasn't septic. I just have never been the same since that illness. I have weakness, fatigue, and depression. Doctors say it is unusual for one to feel the way I do and think it is in my head. It may be..