Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax).
What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

I was trampled by a horse 10 days ago. I had collapsed lung (pneumothorax) and four broken ribs with severe bruising. I was only 15 minutes from the hospital by ground but they flew me in four minutes due to my difficulty in breathing and the color of skin. I had and still have a lot of pain but it is better except for coughing. For the coughing, hugging a pillow helps, as well as pain pills. I am weaning myself off of narcotics to safer forms, but stay on top of the pain; don't wait till it hurts a lot before you take something. I can't wait for this to heal..

Published: April 17

I recently had a spontaneous pneumothorax, just like my uncle, I was actually at a hospital with my wife’s dad when I got mine. I felt severe pain in my shoulder and back out of nowhere, walking with a plate of food. I had to sit down for a while, didn’t know what it was, and thought maybe sprain or bursitis (had before as well). I waited 5 days before actually going in, it was starting to feel better, so that’s why I waited until it only got so much better. I went back to the hospital and they said I had a 50 percent collapse. Insane, man! I had a tube in for about 7 days, and I stayed at the hospital. It’s been about a month, and it’s getting better, unfortunately the two surgeons who placed the first tube, severed nerves when they pushed the tube in, it was the absolute worst pain imaginable. My abdomen is paralyzed on the right side now, and clothes feel like fire on my skin. I don’t know if I can do anything about that. I got Neurontin prescribed, yet to take one, gets filled tomorrow. I've quit smoking for about a month (since surgery) but I'm in a lot of pain and have little patience..