Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia.
Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

On June 6, 2015 I had to have a hernia repair done. The year before I had colon cancer and had a resection done, in the same area I developed a large hernia that stuck out from stomach on the right side. I had an 8 inch hole that they had to repair. They pulled all of the muscles in the area together and put two layers of mesh on it to hold it together. It is now September 4th, 2015 and I am still in pain. The area is hard and if I move wrong the pain causes me to double over. They said that the type of repair that I had done was going to be very painful. I have been back to the doctors and they are saying that I have nerve damage and put me on Lyrica to help with the pain. It does help but I am in pain every day at work at home and trying to move in my sleep is a joke. I am at my wits’ end I just don't know what to do and I am so tired of being in pain all the time..

Published: March 17

I had bilateral inguinal hernias repaired surgically some 10 days ago, laparoscopic keyhole surgery with nylon mesh inserted. All holding together so far. There is bruising and soreness under the belly button where the main incision took place. Further down feels fine. I am slowly building up my activity level but without the heavy lifting. I am trying to avoid coughing and sneezing as these can be painful. Two weeks off work with plenty of lying down is helping with the recovery. I anticipate it will be around 6 weeks before I hop back on my road bike for a decent cycle..