Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia.
Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

I’m recovering after a very large hernia repair which was part of bowel intestine and stomach this was after a C section that a hospital messed up and ended up with this hernia. The operation itself took me well over a year to get to and now I’ve had it done. I feel so much better. I have mesh inside 6cm of mesh I don’t know it’s there. It’s 4 weeks tomorrow since my operation and after having MRSA with this hernia operation it’s still all ok. Fingers crossed but I’m not doing anything no lifting no bending or stretching a little walking but with 2 little ones under 3 doing nothing it is hard. I can’t wait to get back to normal!.

My hernia was caused by radiation therapy for cancer. I had a hole between the rectum and vagina from the pellet radiation. This caused me to have a colostomy which ended in a hernia on my left side below my belly button. I was constantly having blockages in great pain, when finally I saw a surgeon about repairing the hernia and the intestines. About 4 hours of surgery, the hernia was repaired. A few months later it came back and is now even larger. I cannot eat raw vegetables plus many cooked ones. They refuse to touch me again as I have had too many surgeries and scar tissue. I still have the blockages but it is caused by scar tissue tearing when I move wrong. I am on disability due to the chemo causing nerve damage to my feet plus I cannot bend over as I can cause scar tissue to tear and I am sick all over again. I can take pain medication and xenox if I can keep it down. If not a suppository to knock me out is the only answer. So I think you should really weigh all options. I know I would never do the radiation pellets as I believe I would have been ok as this was just overkill. Although, I am alive and lots aren't with stage 4 cancer and it is over 5 years. I just think the treatment can do tons of damage and my whole life has changed. I hope this helps someone..