Sciatica - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica.
What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

I have had lower back pain on and off for many years and it seemed to always improve by keeping fit and taking part in sport. Swimming in the past has cured it 100%. However a few days ago I tried sprinting (running) and am now in absolute agony. The Chiropractor says sprinting will find any weakness in the back. I now have sciatica and with pain in the lower right hand side of my back and buttock and a loss of feeling to the skin below my knee. Yesterday I went swimming and it was the only time in 24 hours I have had pain relief. After the swim the relief continued for a few hours and I am going to go as often as possible as it helped before. It’s as if the spine is stretched whilst swimming to allow the vertebrae to be pulled apart and the disc to retract back to where it should be and not irritating the nerves. I am yet to understand why this only lasts a few hours but at least it’s a start as this is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life..

For 4 months I have suffered from sciatica. Yoga seemed to help but could do no other exercises and have started gaining a bit of weight. I tried many OTC medicines and a muscle relaxer-nothing helped. I started going to a chiropractor and have been 6 times. The last 4 times she has totally relieved my pain for many hours. Then a friend told me to take Advil; it had helped him. Advil worked!!!! Sufferers, you know the relief!! I took 2 at night for 3 nights, then 1 at night for 3 nights. Since then, I have taken 1 when I lifted something and 2 one night when back was irritated. Probably the combination of Yoga, chiropractor, and Advil helped - the most relief was Advil. I am continuing the Yoga, haven't been to the chiropractor in 2 weeks. I have not resumed total exercise program, but am adding exercises slowly..