Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis.
How was your sepsis treated?

My 16 year old daughter had sepsis. she was suffering from severe tonsillitis, her symptoms for sepsis were, high temperature, red rash over most of her body, fast heartbeat, dehydration, lethargic, sickness, low blood pressure, sore throat, she was in hospital for 3 days on IV drip then sent home with antibiotics. Our doctor was brilliant and spotted it straight away and sent us to hospital..

Published: April 14

My husband practically carried me into the ER 6 hours after I started feeling ill, with a 104 temp. Dr. diagnosed me with UTI, although my urinalysis was perfectly clear w/out bacteria. Dr. gave me antibiotic IV and prescription and sent me home totally unaware of who or where I was. I couldn't even walk. I spent the next day and half unconscious (the Dr. told my husband not to worry, I'd be "fine," so he let me sleep although I was really semi-comatose). The hospital called me over 24 hours later and said to take me to the ER by an ambulance as my blood cultures were positive for staph and I was septic. My husband rushed me back and I spent 5 weeks in the hospital with IV antibiotics, full depth incision and drainage of 2 nasty abscesses in my foot/ankle and shin that took 5 months to heal. I ended up in ICU in sudden respiratory and cardiac failure due to over 8 liters of fluid overload. After recovering from C-diff diarrhea, critical low potassium, severe anemia and 3 units transfused, paralytic ileus, and nearly dying a couple of times, I went to rehab for 10 days to learn to walk again. The wound doctor diagnosed me with bilateral Charcot foot 2 months after I was discharged. The hospital doctors mentioned Charcot joint, but never followed through. By the time I was discharged from rehab and walked around with a walker for 2 months, my feet were nearly destroyed from the Charcot deformities. I told the orthopedist twice that I could barely walk on my feet; he didn't say anything. Why didn't the ER doc admit me the first time (he documented I was alert and oriented and able to answer questions, although my husband told me later he couldn't understand a word I tried to say to him or the doctor). The radiology tech told me later he had never seen anyone so sick come in through the ER and be discharged! Why didn't the doctors and nurses recognize my fluid overload before I ended up in ICU? Why didn't the orthopedic surgeon who drained my leg abscesses twice follow through with proper treatment for Charcot (non-weight bearing casting)? I know God saved my life, in spite of the doctors..