Nosebleed - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis).
Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?

About 5 years ago, out of the blue, my nose started bleeding. If I leaned forward, it would just pour out. I chose to hold my head back and all of the blood went down my throat. I grabbed a cup and started spitting the blood into a cup so I wouldn't make myself sick by swallowing it. It stopped as quickly as it started. Later that night, it started again. I ended up sitting on the bathroom floor with a cup and after almost an hour and completely filling the cup, I had my husband call the dr. (at 11pm). He sent me to er. It had stopped by the time I arrived and they couldn't do anything unless it started bleeding again. After about 30 minutes, it began again. They packed my nose with what looked like green foam curlers. About 1/4" in diameter and 4" long. It hurt like HELL when they inserted them into my nostrils. Later, they gave me morphine for the pain. (I asked them why they didn't do that BEFORE they crammed those things into my nose). Long story I know but, they determined it was coming from the back of my nose and had to transfer me to another hospital where they had an ENT specialist. Finally, at 7 am, they took me into OR, knocked me out and cauterized it. I stayed another night and then went home. My nose was packed and they said it would eventually dissolve. It drove me crazy having that in my nose. For about 6 months after the surgery, the effect of the anesthesia finally wore off. It had left me weak and tired. The packing would come out in clumps and I wasn't supposed to blow my nose. The whole experience was a nightmare and I never want to go through that again. The dr. said that due to the dryer air (winter) and taking aspirin ONCE was what may have caused it. He determined that it was a "fluke" and probably wouldn't happen again. This week, my nose has been bleeding a lot...it's scaring the hell out of me..

I was bending forward and it started dripping then pouring. It stopped after several minutes. I had never had a nosebleed before. They didn't happen every day. Bending forward almost always started another one. No pain, just lots of blood and lots of tissues. I had one that lasted 45 minutes. It would stop for no reason, and start suddenly. I avoided bending forward, afraid of starting another one. I was seeing my doctor for "sinus infections" and a whistle in my nose that I thought was insignificant. I had ignored it for over a year before the nosebleeds. They diagnosed me with cancer of the nose and throat. I had it at least a year before my first nosebleed. I had surgery, and six months of radiation and chemotherapy. Now I'm a 10+ year survivor. Sometimes it's just dry air that causes nosebleed, sometimes it's more serious. Don't ignore any unexplained nosebleeds. See your doctor..