Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy.
How was your pleurisy treated?

I woke up on Monday morning perfectly ok and then about 10 am. I started to get sharp pains in my back; I knew what it was straight away as I’ve had pleurisy 3 times already this year. I had a slight chest infection last week but nothing that made me stay off work so I didn’t think anything of it but when this pain hit me I knew it was connected. I could hardly move for the next two days as I was in agony, so when I called the doctors again and I spoke to her she said she doesn’t know why I’ve got this as pleurisy does not reoccur..

I suffered with a sharp stabbing pain when breathing, coughing, bending down or lying down, on the right side of my upper chest for 3 days before I finally went to the ER. After listening to my chest, ECG, running blood tests to rule out a blood clot in my lung, the Dr. diagnosed it as pleurisy. He explained that it was likely viral as I don't have a fever so he prescribed 375 mg of Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and Tylenol 3 for the pain. He told me not to go to work for a few days and take it easy. Let's see hopefully I will be able to get some rest tonight. This is the worst chest pain I have ever experienced in my life and I was worried that it might have been a mild heart attack!.