Urinary Tract Infections - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs).
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?

I had UTI's for years, sometimes 6 times a year and always very painful. I have not had one for about 10 years now and all I do is whenever I can, I use the toilet for a bowel mmovement in the morning BEFORE I shower. If I find I need to go again later in the day I always clean myself (most often I use unscented wipes). It's really no secret, just personal hygiene. You may prefer to shower but sometimes this is not practical. These practices ensure that if you are sexually active there is minimal E Coli bacteria in the genital area. Try it, it works for me and others I have told!.

I have used D Mannose powder to treat UTI with excellent results. My stomach doesn't tolerate antibiotics well, so found this treatment on the Internet. I also had to buy it on the Internet, but some health food stores carry it. I recommend the powder over the capsules. You may want to research the dosage and for more info on how it works, but I used 1 teaspoon in a beverage every 4 hours for several days...and decreased the dosage after a week or so. This works if the infection is caused by e. coli, I understand, so if it doesn't help after a couple days, I would go to the doctor. It can be pricey, but worth it in my opinion!.