Gastritis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis.
What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?

I developed acute gastritis from taking ibuprofen, 1200 mg a day, usually on an empty stomach, for back pain for the last 2 years. Dumb, I know. I am a 55 year-old female, I drink sometimes, and am a smoker. One evening, with no prior symptoms, I developed extreme burning pain in my upper abdomen that seemed to burn through to my back. It was the worst at night. The next day, since I couldn't get a doctor's appointment right away, I went to the drugstore and talked to the pharmacist, who suggested omeprazole, 40 mg., every morning for 14 days. I started those that day, and embarked on a 2-day fast, cutting out all alcohol, caffeine and ibuprofen. I switched to Tylenol or 1/2 Vicodin for the back pain. The stomach pain went away after two days, and I added antacid to the mix, which helped when I started adding foods like white rice, broth, clear soups, wheat toast and yogurt back into my diet. After ten days of that diet, I am back to somewhat normal, with residual back and rib pain that goes away with 1/2 Vicodin tab two or three times a day. Have an appt with the doctor to figure out what the residual back pain is about, but I can eat just about anything now, and am very grateful!.

To manage gastritis, I have been eating smaller portions, taking a probiotic, and not eating late. Also, I am not eating as much spicy foods and greasy foods. And NO MILK..