Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis.
What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

I got violently ill after a 4th of July cookout and by the third morning of running to the toilet every one to two hours. Noticed bloody mucous as well in the diarrhea. Went to my primary after a week and got lab tests; all blood work and stools came back normal. Had to go to e.r. twice to get rehydrated and finally they advised go to a gastro doctor which I did and just had colonoscopy which confirmed ulcerative colitis. He said this is auto-immune related disease and stays with you for life and you need to be on meds. and steroids (prednisone, temporarily) to keep it in remission and reduce episodes. It is quite life altering and as a previous writer noted, I need to make sure I don't eat or drink much before I go out in order to feel safe. Never had this before in my life and I also had taken antibiotics for dental work shortly before my attack, but they ruled out C-diff infection. Good luck to all!.

I began experiencing bloody diarrhea and mucus in the stools at 28 years of age. I was given a prescription with so many side effects that I decided to look into controlling the disease with diet. I have had two other relapses, the last being over 15 years ago. During the last relapse I went to a very good Naturopathic Physician who told me I was full of Candida and he helped me get rid of it. No Colitis ever since. I just had a colonoscopy in the past 9 months and was given a clean bill of colon health! I am positive that diet is the answer, but a person must see a good Naturopathic or Homeopathic doctor. Things didn't look so well for me 30 years ago, but I can say I am happy I did what I did and didn't settle for drugs with all the side effects..