Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis.
What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

The pain was so intense I thought of suicide, I had to sit to pass urine, the worst pain in the world. Cramps, then a drop of stool for 5 hours, then a large stool with a lot of water; the colitis goes on for days and then goes away for months..

My first attack of colitis was at age 8 out in the farm’s outhouse. My mom was with me and carried me inside. I rarely had episodes as a teen but they increased in duration and severity. Mine starts with a sudden urge of diarrhea, and I get so hot that sweat pours off. Since I've been older I can't lie on the bathroom floor to stay close for the next round of diarrhea so I have to make it back to my bed. I've been passing out and falling more and more. After the sweats I get cold and shiver for a while but that's usually the signal that it's over. Some episodes last a few hours and some up to a week. Two weeks ago I just had two rounds of sweats and diarrhea. But the chills were worse and lasted about 6 hours even with several blankets and heating pad. I was so thirsty and kept drinking water. When my home provider came she got in touch with my family and I went to the emergency room (ER) with bad dehydration, damaged kidneys, very low blood pressure and the worst backache ever. I spent a week with IV fluids, sting antibiotics, potassium three times, clear fluids, and 8 Imodium a day. Now I've been home for a week with two antibiotics, the same Imodium, on fluids and now stepping up to soft foods but I still have diarrhea all day and night. I've fought delusions and the worse shakes you can imagine. My mom had the same thing and three others in the family have much simpler episodes. The hospital gave her lots of tests during the 70s but never found anything. I'm waiting on biopsy reports to find what type it is and the treatments to help. The ER doctors said I made it just in time or I'd have died..