Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments).
What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Published: March 18

After two days of horrible pain and stools that was only blood I went to the emergency room. I spent 8 hours there and finally got diagnosed with colitis. I don't know where to go from here. I was put on two different antibiotics and am waiting to see my doctor..

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with mild ulcerative colitis (UC) after going through a year of abdominal pain and misdiagnosis that caused me to lose an ovary. I rarely have diarrhea but have had a couple of accidents and they involved work as well as home. Mine is mostly constipation with left side gut wrenching abdominal pain and horrendous gas. Most of the time I can't tell anymore If I need to go or not, hence the accidents at work. I've noticed the worse the gas, the more the urgency seems to be. Which is the lesser of 2 evils, diarrhea or constipation! Being able to have a bowel movement or not for days to a week at a time. I have the fatigue, fevers, night sweats (thought that was due to menopause) and no appetite because I can't tell anymore if the pain is because I'm hungry or it is due to the UC, and I'm scared to ingest anything. I also developed internal hemorrhoids so even when I do get the chance to expel, I feel like my backside is on fire all the time. Thanks for talking about the mucus part. I didn't know about that and thought some weird things when I saw that because it was orange. I find lying down for a few hours and not moving, helps with the abdominal pain. I am also trying the probiotic trick. After 5 years I have learned which foods are a trigger for excessive pain and avoid those in my diet. The main one was red meat. Lately the other one has been dairy. I drink Silk now and there was an immediate difference. I'm glad I found this site..